Found stray goose. What breed and gender?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Skittlez, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    My daughter and husband went canoeing and this goose was at the launch area. Daughter asked to have it and dad said"If you can catch it, you can keep it." He was thinking she wouldn't be able to approach it. She did, walked right up to it and picked it up. She put it down, they started off down the river. The goose followed them and got in the canoe. So, he is home with us.

He is very docile and well fed. I am thinking he is a Chinese/mix. I have no idea how old or what gender. We are calling him George.

I don't think he would be so far from home, unless he was spooked and got lost. The nearest area that could possible have fowl are 3-5 miles away. The canoe launch is in a semi residential area with busy roads. He may have been dumped too, but I hope not. We put up found ads, but he may not get claimed.

Any ideas on gender, breed and age.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Sorry i dont know what breed but she is beautiful!

3. Chinese or African Girl?

4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    looks like my Brown Chinese girls...she is pretty...[​IMG]

5. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Man, that's a first! I've come across one or two stray chickens on the side of the road, and of course turtles and frogs but that's as exotic as i've ever seen!
    No idea on geese, but good luck. She's beautiful!

6. Skittlez

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    Thanks guys! This is our first goose also. We have chickens and ducks. So, i guess the consenses is She. We will call her Georgia instead of George.

When my husband called me to come pick them up, he said "We are heavy one large fowl, just to let you know." Then he told me the story. I really like her already.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Looks like a female african goose. I bet she was a pet and someone dropped her off. I will warn you that being a solo goose, she will human bond and become one heck of an alarm system. PM scbatz33 she has a female solo goose and she can tell you all about. [​IMG]

Here is a CL ad for a female african for comparison

http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/1878416001.html

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  8. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    you really will come to love her...the geese have such personalities...I have 16 of them and they are just a hoot, or would that be a honk? My 2 Poms have the biggest fluffiest butts ever and are very different sounding than the Chinas...ALL of them are very gabby...I have been warned so many times that geese are aggressive, especially the Chinese, but I just have not found that to be the case...the head gander hissed at me a few times during laying season and once or twice when I got too close, in his opinion, to some goslings...I raised my arm and walked toward him and he found something else to do with his time...no problem...

9. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I agree she looks like a female African . She is really pretty. I can't believe someone dropped her off. Good thing your daughter came along. How lucky.

10. Skittlez

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I am still a little confused-Some say African and some say Chinese. I have googled both. They are very similar, but all the pictures I find of African have the big dulap. Are these mixes, do full African have no dulap? Is there a characteristic of one the other doesn't have? She has the heavy bottom like the African, but she has the head and neck of a chinese. Maybe she is both? Her legs and feet are very orange also.

Sorry for all the questions I have a few more. [​IMG]

Do geese like to be put to bed like chickens? Does she need to be inside a building to feel secure or can she be in an outside pen with a dog house and pool?

I have been feeding her a mix of cracked corn, bread, and chicken crumbles. What should she really eat? I have had no response to my found ads and I want to make sure she stays happy and healthy.

Thank you everybody for your help, I love this place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by