1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found Sumatra chicks...now what?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EllyMae, Aug 22, 2008.

1. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

This will be my first experience with ornamental type chickens. Is there anything I need to do different as far as housing, feeding, etc with Sumatras? I currently have barred rock, RIR, but I don't have a clue about the Sumatras.
    Any Sumatra owners out there with words of wisdom for this newbie?

2. EllyMae

nobody with sumatra info? [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I hatched out a bunch but for someone else. I stay away from Sumatra's...they are pretty flighty and not to nice to others chickens.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
  5. EllyMae

Thanks. The main thing I was concerned about was housing. I have read that they are good flyers so I probably wouldn't be able to let them free range like I do my BR's and RIR.

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i've heard you can free range them. but not sure. they are good fliers i hear (the reason i say "i hear". is because i own 0 for now). the pen space i heard. is 4X4X8. and one other. the one someone told me about and i plan to use myself. is 8X10 X8-10. im thinking of building my pens 8 wide. 10 long. 8 tall. and heard they can fit about 5 hens and one rooster in each of these pens.

7. EllyMae

That sounds like the dimensions on one of my dog kennels( the chain link kind). ONe of my friends modified one of those for her chickens. She raises Black Giants and Brown Leghorns. I bet I could convert one of those chain link kennels to allow a run with a cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by