Found the perfect spot

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jgconnor, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jgconnor

jgconnor Out Of The Brooder

My wife and I just bought a 4 yr. old 1700 sq. ft. modular home on 7 acres 5 miles outside of town. Nearest neighbor is measured in hundreds of yards. There's a beautiful stand of Knotty Pines behind the house. I'm going to drop just enough to accommodate the coop and build the coop/yard under the trees. It's far enough away from the house that we won't smell the yard, but close enough to make the walk to it easy. The trees will provide wonderful shade in the summer and some protection from snow in the winter. Come spring, we'll be ready to bring home the birds![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    [​IMG]

3. Karens62

Karens62 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Marion, NC
    Congrats on your purchase of a new home, complete with a cozy spot for your girls!

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Don't forget the pictures!

5. jgconnor

jgconnor Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Thanks for the reminder! They're on the digicam. Just gotta load 'em on my PC and then post.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sounds wonderful!

I dream that we will find someplace someday where we can keep roosters and don't have to give away our little cockerels.

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    [​IMG] Make sure u take pics of ur coop as u build for next yrs contest.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Happy for you and new home and acres. Sounds like a nice setting for a coop and run keep us posted on progress with pics.

9. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats [​IMG] on your new home and enjoy making it just right for all, including your feathered freinds [​IMG] Nothing like creating a place for everyone to feel comfy:)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about pines etc. but wonder if they are strong enough to stand high winds and heavy snow cover. I remember last winter and thru other storms some BYCERS had trees come down on their coops and flatten them. Maybe your climate isn't that severe. Sounds like you found a great place to live - lucky you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by