Found the stash of eggs galore!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksbestfriend, Jul 17, 2010.

1. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have this 9 month old Rhode Island girl that seems to wander off our property everyday and ends up in the empty fields behind the house. She is the only one out of 60 hens that practices this behavior. Whenever I am out tending to the rest of the girls, she comes running to the fence, paces back and forth, cackling frantically as if a preditor is after her. I have to scale two fences to go and rescue her everyday and join her with the rest of the gals. Only does this once a day, and is present at every roll call at night in the henhouse. I have tried talking to her about this behavior, even put her in lock down to break the habit, have tried bribing her, but continues to venture off. My fear is the neighbors cat sit in prey in that big field, just waiting to get a chance to dine on a chicken! Well today, I was not the happy camper having to scale the fences to reclaim her, as I was already out of my farm clothes and dressed for town. After scaling the fences, in my nice clothes, I couldnt find her. All of a sudden, I get a glimpse of some brown feathers tucken in between the this tall thick grass. As I spread opened the grass, lo and behold she was, with a nest of almost 90 eggs! They were in various sizes from her first egg, all the way up to a large egg! She had neatly dug out a deep nest in the dirt, and was using the tall grass to cover the eggs when she is not there so nothing was visable! She hasnt been sitting on them, as she is always there for roll calls and all the eggs were very cool as if they had been refrigerated. I took my treasure of eggs home, put them in a pot, and not a single one floated to the top! Curiosity led me to crack open one of the first eggs she laid and it had all the characteristics of a fresh egg; standing firm, with the cords in place, was just remarkable!

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Big omelet today, then? Tee hee, My girls do this, but not to such an amazing scale,

Sandie

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Did you get a pic of her opulent nest?

4. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    That is very interesting to me. I have one girl that recently, since the racoon attacks, cannot be found during the day on our property and is not here at night time roll call. I am starting to consider the neighbor's land myself. Matter of fact today is the day I told my daughter that she is always here to eat with the girls first thing in the morning when I release everyone and we need to follow her. She is not here at night for roll call so I was even outside checking up in trees with a flaslight late last night. I am sure my neighbors think my lid has finally fully flipped. I wonder if I will find her missing stash while finding her. She will then be in lock down. I already have the cage prepared for her.

5. chicksbestfriend

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    didnt get any picture, I was in such awe, couldnt wait to get them into the house and play "eggs", was definitely a kodak moment! all the eggs went into the pot and were develed up for the girls to enjoy, of course, after I arranged them on the counter by size! I think I am egg obsessed!

6. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Hello egg obsessed, I am a hatchaholic.....[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's a pitty you did not take some pictures of the nest or load of eggs on the bench!

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Even funnier if she had been sitting on top of them.

I didn't realise a Gold Brahma hen had started to lay and found her sittting on 22 eggs (not all her own, though). That was a bit of a sight as she tried to scoop them all under her when I found her sitting behind a piece of fencing resting against a wall.

Sandie

8. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

play eggs!! funniest thing ive heard in a while!

9. chicksbestfriend

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Boo hoo! I am a bad chicken mama! No pictures!! Can we turn the day back from the beginning? When you got over 60 hens (and thats not counting the pullets and babies), 16 ducks, 1 pot belly pig and 7 dogs running around in a three ring circus, I mean on the farm, the mind completely becomes obsessed with what is in the moment. Its after all ends well, you think back and think about the camera. he he he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by