found this egg in our field....any ideas as to what it is?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by uncle rico, May 13, 2012.

1. uncle rico

uncle rico Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I was out walking in our back 40 pasture when I came upon this egg lying in the middle of the path. I'm pretty sure it's a turkey egg, but not quite 100% positive. Here is a pic, with one of our eggs (brown one on the left) to compare. It seems a little heavier then a chicken egg, and it has slight specks on it.

Does anyone think this egg could be hatchable? I have a few broodies at the moment, does it work to have a chicken hen over a wild turkey egg?

[​IMG]

2. SpiritedFarm

SpiritedFarm Chirping

Mar 30, 2012
    South West Ontario
    Hmmmm, cool!

Wondering if it would be legal to have a wild turkey egg ?

But I know folks have chickens hatch duck eggs, why not a turkey egg?

Maybe a turkey eggspert could comment?

3. uncle rico

uncle rico Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    bump

4. SallysCrazyFarm

SallysCrazyFarm In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    PA
    My guess would be turkey. Never hatched any before but I do know they can be speckled. Try to hatch it and see [​IMG]

5. moonlitechick

moonlitechick Chirping

May 5, 2012
    SW Missouri
    Could be turkey. Most wild turkey eggs are speckeled. I'm sure your hen will do a fine job hatching it. You might want to candle it to see it the mama has already started it.

6. rosie316

rosie316 In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    NW suburbs / Illinois
    Looks like the goose eggs we just hatched. Incubate at 99.5 with humidity at 70 percent. Good luck!

7. CorinneP

CorinneP Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    I Just got two young Bronze Turkeys as My Son Had to have them ! And am studying very hard Fast .. It seems to me though I know people who have raised Chickens and turkeys together .. Advice is against it ! Something about diseases the chickens can carry that don't hurt them but can kill the Turkeys.. They require more grit and a different type of feed as they Grow. So If you do Hatch it and want to keep it you may need to make some special preparations. I know we will be making a whole new area for just turkeys now .. And a Friend told me Wild turkeys are even harder to keep. So you might want to read a bit before making your decision.

8. SallysCrazyFarm

SallysCrazyFarm In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    PA

My goose eggs are much larger. At least mine are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wild_Turkey_nest_and_eggs.jpg

Maybe post in the turkey forum. Someone there would know for sure. I know turkeys take a little longer to hatch, 28 days or so. Chicken hens can hatch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: