found this egg in with my chicken eggs is it a duck egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maransfan16, Mar 25, 2013.

1. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i found this in with my chicken eggs this morning and it looks and feels like a duck egg to me but this nest box is like 4 feet in the air so that narrowed it down to about six of my duck hens but then i thought and five of those hens lay green eggs (one is pure mallard the other are mallard buff crosses) so it has to be my sisters muscovy but i've never saw her in there before so maybe it's her or my little EE chicken hen feels alot better with that huge egg out of her system what do you think it might be chicken or duck or should i found out myself and hatch it

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    it looks like a duck egg to me, I have ducks and have found duck eggs in nest boxes that I thought they couldn't reach. My runners are the only ones that lay green eggs though. Smell it duck eggs have a certain smell on the shell its different then chicken egg smell

3. maransfan16

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    i see what you mean it almost smells like lake water or something

4. Quack Addict

Quack Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Ty Ty, Georgia
    Hatch it. If the resulting bird has a bill instead of a beak you chances are good it was a duck egg...

5. zeberman

zeberman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Thats a duck egg all right! you can tell cause the green color and its more waxy than the chicken egg. thicker shell, heavier.

6. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] my 3 yr old brought the duck egg smell to my attention, she went through this phase where she sniffed EVERYTHING and we were seperating eggs and she could tell the chicken eggs from the duck eggs by smelling them. We though she was just kidding so we blinfolded her and she was right every time. LOL

7. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Hatch it! :D

8. maransfan16

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    i'm going to and the reason that i was confused was because my easter egger hen lays the same color green eggs so i was confused

9. maransfan16

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    i found the culprit guys[​IMG]i got out there before she left so now my next question should i let her hatch herself cause if i let her then i am going to put a few of my goose eggs in there with her if you think she has enough room in a milk crate last year we got her late in the year around july she layed 20 eggs before i knew she was and since she was keeping to herself and not letting my other ducks near her so they weren't fertile but i thought i'd she about her desire to hatch and i eventually had to destroy the nest and block her off from it after she had been on the nest for 60 days after i found her so what do you guys think about me letting her do this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by