Found this girl digging through my compost pile...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by curiouslychris, Jul 26, 2013.

1. curiouslychris

curiouslychris In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    The backyard
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure what she is, but she's pretty sure of herself coming into my yard and raiding the pile for bugs! My chicks are barely 4 weeks old, they don't even know what to do when I hold a grub out to them...they all gather around, stare at it really hard, then run away chirping when it starts moving [​IMG]

2. It's a bantam something.
    Looks OEG.
    Lavender OEGB?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think she is welcoming you to BYC

4. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Haha yes she's making you welcome here.

She is a very young she.. and is a mix. Probably game mix or maybe basically a straight game as those are common and are both likely to wander far into new areas or unfortunately dumped- lots of rescued chickens in shelters turn out to be games. Seems to have a pea comb- which is present in a fair number of games.

Her coloring is unusual. Not lavender as her brown pigments are not diluted to pastel shades. Could be blue- it varies a LOT or could be dun? (blue doesn't dilute brown/gold pigments as much unlike lavender which dilutes all colors to a huge degree)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  5. Is she friendly?
    Are you goig to be keeping her?

6. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Songster

Feb 14, 2013
    Lucky ,I only have stray cats show up.

7. curiouslychris

curiouslychris In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    The backyard

I hadn't thought of a mix...then again, whenever I've seen chickens anywhere and wondered what breed they were, it hasn't occurred to me to consider that they could be mixed breeds. Whatever it is, it's a beautiful bird!

She was a bit skittish, but she didn't mind me standing/working within a few feet as long as I didn't try to come closer. If I did, she just did a little dance around me, staying just out of range but within sight of the compost...she wasn't giving that spot up easily!

Unfortunately, DW informed me that she had seen her in our new neighbor's back yard, and given that they do have a couple of chickens, I have to assume it's theirs. Yesterday afternoon I looked over and saw what I think was the same chicken. Shame, she was a nice one. Then again, I don't know how she would have done being introduced to my crazy flock of babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: