1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

found this link on newsweek about killing all the mustangs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninny, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
  2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I say leave 'em alone. If the government is gonna pull out of the mustang protection racket, then do so and just get on with it.

They'll either starve to death, get into peoples business and be rooted out, or just go on as they have been. Hopefully, the latter.

You cant protect everything, all the time, forever.
    Something gives in the end.

3. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    we need a national park for them and buffalo. they are part of our history and should not be treated like trash

4. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    It is not true.. At least I have found no evidence that it is true anywhere on the BLM's site.

This is a bunch of hype expending from the BLM wanting to update a bunch of their policies so they can better care for the horses, keep the land from being overgrazed and having the horses starve over the winter.

It is illegal for the BLM to destroy mustangs unless they are sick, lame or dangerous.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    So we were the victims of animal rights hype once AGAIN? Wouldnt you know it....

6. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well I'm a total horse lover, but you can only have so many Mustangs running wild on land that doesn't belong to the government.

The BLM does a real good job adopting out these guys and there are even a few prison programs that take them and have the inmates break and train them. (Those prison mustange are quite valuable - in relative terms anyway)

You can't just let the population get out of control.

I say if you're really into saving the Mustange above and beyond what they already do - go adopt one. They can make great little horses with proper training. [​IMG]

7. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    Not quite animal rights I don't think. Just people who don't read. After seeing this elsewhere yesterday I read the whole 107 page Pryor Mountain Herd Management Draft.

It does mention euthanasia, and I think that is as far as people got.

They do help population control with birth control shots and removing certain ages of horses for adoption.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think it's really sad that the government has to euthanize these wild horses.

Most of the issue is that there is not enough food for them because the cattle have eaten it all and the horses are already starving to death and hanging around waterers slowly withering away.

By no means am I a "tree hugger" or an animal rights activist, and I believe some animals need to be euthanized for their own good because of disease and overpopulation. This problem has occured because of poor planning and over grazing of BLM lands by cattle.

I love the farmers and that they provide food, but paying farmers to not grow certain crops and letting them graze cattle on government land strikes me the wrong way.

Where's my freebie?

9. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:It would be very easy to classify almost any horse as dangerous.

10. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I read an article also on this and I would so love to adopt a wild mustang. I do fear for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by