Found this little fellow lurking in the woods watching my Flock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WalleyWaller, Sep 4, 2014.

1. WalleyWaller

WalleyWaller Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    Found this little Roo hanging around in the woods outside of the fenced in run and coop area. I didn't realize he was in such bad shape at first. He was starving. He looks all beat up and his beak is splintered and some of the top part of his beak is missing. I caught him and have him in quarantine giving him unlimited food and water. I am thinking perhaps he is a game bird of some sort. Not sure what breed he is.. If anyone has an idea please let me know. I really dont need or want another Roo. In fact I need to cull 2 or 3 others that I have, but this little guy needs help. We will get him healthy and fatten him up and try to find him a good home.

The pics aren't too good, but any help as to what breed he is would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Since he's dubbed, in such bad shape, and looks to be a game breed, he may have been used for fighting. Glad you're getting him all healthy again!

3. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    Thank you! I was thinking that he may have been used for fighting too! He has some long spurs, but he was very docile and gentle when I caught him. Perhaps because he was so weak. The 2 or 3 tail feather that he has left are very long. I am not familiar with fighting or game breeds. When I gave him water and feed, he ate and drank continuously for about 30 minutes. He is really pitiful. I will post some better pics tomorrow.

4. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    He's lucky he happened across you. After whatever tortures he survived and then some varmint would have just gotten as easy meal as week as he was. Even meat chickens deserve some modicum of humanity. God bless the gentle souls.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Game bird mix.

Good job on rescuing him!

6. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    Thank you everyone! I am giving him a little yogurt for probiotics as well as a mix of layer pellets, crumbles and chick starter. He seems a bit better today but his beak is in bad shape. Doesn't seem to hinder his ability to eat though. I hope that I can find him a good home when he is back to good health. My hope is that my nephew will take him as he is a Carolina Gamecock fan. He could be a charter mascot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    This made me smile. So glad you found him!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with the others--he looks like a gamebird/gamebird mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by