1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found this little guy in my driveway... Thought it was a chicken.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kim3335, Jun 19, 2016.

1. kim3335

kim3335 New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    Someone said they think it's a quail... Can anyone tell me anything about this guy? Is he a juvenile? Is that bald spot concerning? He's eating (ground up cat food) and drinking plenty and walking around fine.

We thought it was a baby chicken which is very strange in our neighborhood. Should we let him go?[​IMG]

2. Kim Z

Kim Z Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Madbury, New Hampshire
    That is a quail. The bald spot may be from a predator trying to catch him but only ending up with a mouth or talon full of feathers.

3. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    That's a quail please keep it

4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    My poor eyes cant tell from this tiny phone but that looks like an A&M Coturnix. If so that is a lost or ditched pet. They don't breed in the wild. Someone verify?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  5. kim3335

kim3335 New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    we are taking her to a local vet that works with birds. they're going to have a look at her and then try to connect us with some bird people to see if we can find her a good home. thanks for all of the advice!

6. UniqueQuail

UniqueQuail Just Hatched

Jun 6, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Definitely an A&M coturnix. Definitely not wild. Very lucky to have made it to you. They'd make a lovely snack for any predators.

7. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Pictures aren't working for me right now but by the sounds of it it is a quail. He won't last long on his own in the wild so it's up to you whether you're prepared to look after him or not. I can't imagine a single quail is much work.

8. kim3335

kim3335 New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    We took him to a local vet that services birds and two of the techs actually raise quails and will be fighting over who gets to keep him :)

9. Kim Z

Kim Z Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Madbury, New Hampshire
    Good to hear that he'll have a happy home! How was he doing? Any injuries or malnutrition?

10. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Its so funny reading your comments!!!! Save the quail save the quail! Just eat the quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by