Found this on CL - Do you think I can modify or add-on to it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MaLoTu, Mar 30, 2015.

1. MaLoTu

MaLoTu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/4953450399.html

First of all, it is a Costco coop, does anyone have any experience with the quality? It looks like it may be kinda flimsy [​IMG].
    Also, it says 4 chickens, I should have 8 (if all goes according to plan), do you think we can modify it by adding to the other side? Is it even worth the trouble?

TIA!

Marie

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    It's going to be made of cheap particle board and no, it's not worth altering.

3. MaLoTu

Mar 28, 2015
    Thanks, that is what I figured.

4. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Getting the coop is the major hurdle is you're not able to build it yourself. Depending on your budget, there are a some decent options on craigslist and from other local sources like The Laughing Chicken or Mill Valley Chickens. There's also a dead simple set of plans to build a cheap coop from three sheets of plywood in A Chicken in Every Yard:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Every...qid=1427738055&sr=8-1&keywords=urban+chickens

5. MaLoTu

Mar 28, 2015
    I'll look to see if they have that book at the library.

To be 100% truthful, it really isn't cost that is keeping us from building, it is the permitting for our city. I didn't want to invest too much if we needed to give the chickens away. However, it appears that is less of a factor now that you found their guidelines and we should be in compliance.

6. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by