Found this poor baby this morning...not sure about breed

PAChickenMom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
NW Pennsylvania
My husband left for work at 5 o'clock this morning and just as he pulled off of our road he found this poor little chicken in the ditch. So of course he grabbed it up and brought it back to me. Now she's in my bathtub, resting and getting warm with some food and water. Does anyone know what kind of chicken she is? I know she's not one of my girls . Mine are all locked up tight and still sound asleep.

The pictures are a little fuzzy, and the bird is wet, but I would guess mixed breed and I think it is a cockerel. If you can post a picture later when he is dry it may be easier to tell.

I think you're right...it's a he not a she. The little comb made me think it was a girl. Great. Just what I need lol. I can't get a better picture right now in the bathtub...the lighting is terrible. We have emergency coops and cages in the chicken yard so when the sun comes up I'll take him up there. I'll get a better picture then hopefully.

Well that was a mess. It definitely was a rooster. Once I picked him up and took him out of the bathtub I could see he was. So I took him up to our emergency coop. However my rooster and the girls were already out. One of my hens freaked out and jumped up at us as I was trying to walk him over to the quarantine area. All heck broke loose and all the girls started jumping up and freaking out as I was carrying him. The new little guy went crazy and got away from me. He jumped onto the electric fence, got a good zap, and unfortunately ran away into the woods. Oh well. I tried. Maybe I'll find him again later or maybe he'll find his way back to his home.

My cynical side says he's likley not welcome at home due to his gender--he'll either roam until a predator finds him or return to your flock to stir things up.

He decided to hang out all day yesterday in our backyard which is separate from the chicken area. He just walked around and never tried to leave. Finally when it started to get dark I could see him starting to really pace around so I opened up the shed door. I figured if he wanted to go in and stay there to be safe he could...if not oh well I tried. It was too hard to chase him and try to catch him...he's too fast and quickly made me look like an idiot. And my husband wasn't gonna be home until well after dark last night so I had nobody to help me. Well he went right into the shed and made himself at home on top of our lawnmower. So I just shut the door and let him stay there all night. And then this morning I took him up to the chicken garden before I let my rooster and the girls out so that they did not see each other and all freak out again. I got him into the quarantine cage safely and he will have to stay there for a while until I know that he is okay. The girls are very curious about their new friend. However the rooster has been doing quite a bit of strutting and is busy working on his fancy moves to keep the ladies interested.

My cynical side says he's likley not welcome at home due to his gender--he'll either roam until a predator finds him or return to your flock to stir things up.
I don't know, you really think he wont incorporate? I find that the flock warms up to new comers if you keep them separated by a fence and introduced into the coop at night a week or two later. Either way they have to establish the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom