Found two chicks outside today, a day in the life of a farm

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tadpole98, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Today started out normal, I woke up, put chickens out then did school (homeschooled). when i was done with homework I sat on the computer for a few hours then finally got so bored i decided to go out and feed the chickens some scratch. THIS DID NOT GO AS PLANNED
    as i was scooping some out i heard these little peeps but assumed it was a bird. Well it was, but not the kind i was thinking. I look behind me and two, one day old chicks were darting the hungry mouths of hens. [​IMG] WHAT ON EARTH
    i hurried and scooped them up and made them warm as they were very cold. their feathers showed they were hatched yesterday, but by whom? and where?
    i have 70 chickens so its hard to keep track of them all, and if one went missing it usually went unnoticed.
    I called my mom and she came down to help me find the mother, which we still havent found, nor the nest. I expected to find at least two little opened shells somewhere , nothing.
    Long story short, I am now mothering two little chicks, who look girly
    no pictures as i was hurrying to find a place to keep them. (All the other usual brooders were taken by other hatchling from a month ago.)

How fun!!
    I hope they make it, and i hope we find the mom. im so curious and i want my questions answered! lol

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicken surprise!

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Awe, post pictures. [​IMG]

4. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw, you lucky!!! :) have fun with your little fluffy butts. :)

5. What breed are they silkies? Sea Bright's Cochin what tell me, tell me, tell me! will you please post pick's? [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

x2!

7. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Ok! if internet wasnt so slow i would post a picture, lol
    But i found out where the nest was, under an upturned wheelbarrow. That was insulated on one side with fertilizer bags, and all around it was straw bales. very smart chicken..
    I remember her running out from under somewhere all startled and such, i never thought anything of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by