Found where the bantams are laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JetBlack, Aug 7, 2010.

1. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    They have all been sneaking around, to the front of the house, when I am not looking. They crawl under the porch, with the hobo spiders and the black widows and lay their eggs in the corner. I found 11. Double bagged them with zip-loc bags and hucked them in the garbage can. My chickens do not lay eggs with expiration dates so I have no way of knowing which ones are good and which will ruin the resale value of my home, when I open them.

I caught one chicken hiding on the nest and extricated her, against her will. I boarded up the fence gap she was getting through and she did not like that at all!

I showed her the place she used to love to lay eggs but all she did was angrily peck the golf balls, REALLY hard. Those pecks had swear words in them.

Due to all this, I went to Staples and bought two milk crates and tipped them on their sides and made nests out of grass. I can't believe how easy it is to do that! Long grass bends into just the right shape. Drop it on the bottom and it makes a nest shaped bowl! It was amazing. Then I put some fresh lawn clippings in the very bottom and it looks like a professional was called in. I showed it to the chicken and I swear she rolled her eyes at me. Like I curled the grass counterclockwise, or something.

Hopefully they will like the new nests and more importantly, stop using the front porch. I have to put on welding gloves and squeeze all my fat under there, with lots of huffing and swearing. I know there are hobo spiders under there, b/c their webs are all around. There are fat black widows this year, too. I am sure they are waiting above my head, to jump onto the back of my neck.

After I collected the eggs, I covered the opening with plywood (leaned it against the ivy to hold it in place, until the chickens forget about it).

2. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Good luck! My chickens have taken to laying right next to the nest box all of a sudden, which is significantly less annoying than your situation but equally baffling. I wonder what makes them decide that the previous nesting area is no good any more? [​IMG]

3. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    You are much braver than I.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If you ever come across a hidden nest again you can do the float test--Place the eggs in a pot of cold water. Eggs that float are bad, those that lay on the bottom are fresh, and the ones that tilt up but still stay on the bottom aren't as fresh but are still good.

5. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:Not much, I assure you. I hemmed and hawed as much as I could. I imagined what the wounds look like when you get bit. I found some old welding gloves that are elbow high and soft/supple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:That's a great tip!!!!

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    feed the hard biol with shells grind up eggs back to your chicken it is good free calcium for them

8. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Pardon my ignorance but are the pics of your wounds from the spiders you wrote about? That looks so painful! [​IMG]

9. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:Those are pics of *other* people's wounds from those spiders. I will probably have nightmares tonight!

The bites don't hurt! They don't even feel like anything. It's not uncommon for the bitten person to be informed that all their skin is falling off, by someone else.

First, it all dies, then sloughs off, in sheets, leaving fat and muscle underneath. All the skin dies.

Horrifying!

Hobo spiders are about 3-4 inches long. Brown Recluse (exact same kind of bite) is about 1/4 inch long.

Hobo:
    [​IMG]

Brown Recluse:
    [​IMG]

10. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I need to get out there and make sure the barred bantam is not trying to lay on that nest. Grrr. This is a battle of wills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by