found yolk/white with shell???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DharmaOm, May 7, 2011.

1. DharmaOm

DharmaOm New Egg

May 7, 2011
    Hello,

I found today an egg yolk/white with no shell whatsover. My daughter believes it to have been layed by our bantum who is 1 year 2 months old. My flock totals 12 hens and 1 very content rooster! None of the others, including the rooster bother her whatsoever. They are free range, eat a diet of crumble and cracked corn to which I add, oyster shell and their own shells that I save from cooking. They get plenty of clean, fresh water, twice a day. Plus, kitchen scraps.

I can't think of any "stress" issues that would effect just one hen. We did have a visitor...a 600 lb black bear (I live in the Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York), however, the rooster scared him away...seriously and the bear was just crossing our property coming up from the stream...he was not even near the coop.

Any ideas, anyone? I've read about "rubber" eggs, however, this had no sign of a shell at all.
    Thanks folks,
    Gina

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

An occasional shell-less egg happens, even when you are doing everything right (and it sounds like you are!). I wouldn't let it trouble me, unless it became a regular occurence. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. DharmaOm

DharmaOm New Egg

May 7, 2011
    Dear Gritsar,

Thanks for the words. Puts me at ease, most definately. Question: what should I do if this is happening all of the time? does this mean that the hen is ill? Thanks.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by