Found young pullet (maybe roo but doubt it) what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by poppycock1974, Sep 9, 2016.

1. poppycock1974

poppycock1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    This is a chicken that was found in our area and the lady who found it is asking if I can give it a home if they can catch it again. It's very small, It's tailfeathers were sticking straight up , has a tiny yellow comb and a rather small head. At first she looked like a Cornish but I'm not familiar with several breeds so I don't know. Before I decide to keep it, I need to make sure it will work with my other girls. [​IMG]
    This is the only picture she could get and when I went over to rescue it, no one could catch it so this is the only picture I have. It needs to be rescued regardless because we are in the city and there's a lot of traffic going by and Hawks out. we just want it to stay safe

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    If she's really small possibly an Old English Game Bantam? There's many varieties and the females have differences in colouring even in the same breed. They hold their tails up high.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She looks like a little Old English game hen.

4. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Thank you. I'll look at photos of that breed and compare to how she looked when I went over there. She looks about the size of a two or three month old pullet but i am no expert.

5. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Yes, the photos I just searched look just like her. Thank you

6. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    I just pulled up that breed and a photo search and she is definitely and old English game breed. If she is a bantam, do you think she would do OK with my four bigger girls? I have Two BOs, barred rock and EE

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    OEGB

8. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]
    This is my tiny OEGB intimidating my big old large fowl Cochin cockerel lol. They may be small but they have huge attitudes. I have 3 OEGB (one of them is a rooster), 5 barred rocks and 6 Cochin. They all share 1 coop and free range and get along great. The small ones aren't even bottom of pecking order. They can fly far better than larger chickens so catching her may be a challenge! I recommend scratch or scrambled eggs to lure her in. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

1 person likes this.
  9. animalgrl

animalgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2015
    I found an OEG living in the tree in my yard. After two weeks of leaving a dog crate out with food in the dog crate (and putting no other food out for it) and half an hour of standing perfectly still a short distance from the crate at the end of the second week, I was able to catch it by quickly closing the crate door when it went in to eat. They are decent fliers and can be difficult to catch. I found a coworker with chickens willing to take her (I had no chickens and no desire for chickens at the time). After less than 24 hours, my coworker called and said, "I'm sorry, we can't keep this chicken, she has terrorized our other four (she had Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons - all twice the size of the little OEG) to the point that they are all huddled in their run and to terrified to go in the coop." So we went and picked her up and relocated her to someone who had a random flock of game birds that had moved into their yard from a neighbors. They had a big yard and she eventually integrated into the flock of game birds, after spending several weeks hanging out solo in one part of the yard. So if you do try to integrate her into your flock, definitely go slow and keep them separated by a fence for a few weeks, if you can. That was my experience. She was a good looking little hen though, but not to friendly and definitely had a bit of an attitude.

10. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    That is so cute! Such a tough little one.
    The lady that originally had it said she hasn't seen it today yet. So who knows what's going to happen to it. If she can catch it again she's going to call me to come get her. I'll keep my fingers crossed she stays smart and safe. We have 3 eagles and several Hawks around [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by