Foundation of Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spikesowner, Apr 7, 2012.

1. spikesowner

spikesowner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    If hubhy is up to it we are starting our coop. We are building it in an area where there is nothing but rock grass will not grow here. Should we lay wire on the bottom or just cinderblock or cement to frame in the bottom? Yes this is our first coop....

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    If you could use cement or cinderblock on the entire floor of the coop, that would ensure safety from predators and ease of cleanup.

3. spikesowner

Apr 2, 2012
    Is it ok to cement the entire coop run? What about drainage? Is it ok for their feet?

4. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin

This is what we did...we built ours on posts up off the ground about 2.5', This way they will be able to go under the coop for more run area. This will give them a "no snow" area in the winter also. (We will block off 3 sides) Then our floor/building was constructed in the regular fashion. We just put our girls inside for the first time this morning. Another reason we raised ours is so no rats or animals will make it into their living quarters.

5. spikesowner

Apr 2, 2012
    We are planning on making the coop two feet off the ground...now we are thinking of putting the coop on part of an old gravel road that the previous owners had put in. Is that ok if I use that with cinder blocks around base of frame then an inch or two of more gravel then sand?

6. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Why are you wanting to have your run on grave or concrete?

Every ones situation is different. Me personally.... I wouldn't add the extra costs of using concrete or gravel.

I prefer mine to be on dirt. That's just me. you can use anything you want.

Concrete or dirt.....Each one has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

7. spikesowner

Apr 2, 2012
    More for security since I live in the mountains on 33 acres along state land where we have black bear possum coon etc oh fox red and grey I don't want to be unprepared snd find out I did it wrong and lise a bird or even all.

8. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    Might be more effective if you put a few stands of electric fence on the outside of your run.

9. spikesowner

Apr 2, 2012
    I have dogs they might get zapped.

10. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    They might get zapped once but after that they'll leave it alone. Plus hot wire is about the only thing to deter a bear. I've heard some stories of them ripping the coop to pieces to get at the chickens. You can also bend some hardware cloth in a L and attach it to the bottom of your run with half laying on the ground. That'll keep allot of things from digging under your run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by