Fount Marbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pusskatkins, Oct 24, 2010.

1. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    I removed the chick fountain yesterday with the marbles and replaced it with a quail base because I was worried about the marbles having lead in them.
    All of my chicks adjusted except for one. The chick furiously began to scratch both ears and frantically peeped. I sought emergency assistance that thankfully I was able to resolve after receiving advice from another member. He was dehydrated and his brain was affected. I hope he wasn't brain damaged. He seems okay now.
    Anyway, about these marbles. Everything produced in China either has been cheaply made, has high contents of lead...you get the picture.
    This is the reason I removed the marbles. I was frightened the lead would cause my chicks harm.
    I didn't realize they wouldn't adjust to the quail size fount. I even dipped their little beaks, several times!
    Since we had the pet food and baby formula scare a few years ago, I always check where the items are manufactured. If it's China, I won't purchase it.
    Unfortunately, these marbles had been sitting in my closet for over a year now, maybe two or three.
    This is a FYI for all you animal lovers. I know your chickens, cats, dogs, horses, goats, sheep, birds are part of the family.

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Hadn't even thought of that... but ur right about leaded glass. I never used marbles so didn't think about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by