Fountain Valley, CA resident hiding my hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by naturalwildlife, Aug 13, 2014.

1. naturalwildlife

naturalwildlife Out Of The Brooder

I own five hens, but had serious problems finding a good hatchery at first, so lost four of the originals to disease, and had to give one back to a friend due to a pecking issue. But I do have two pullets now, and three hens. I am keeping the pullets in my family room as the outside coop probably has Merek's disease, so I am waiting until the younger ones get older and have a stronger immune system. I did a write-up for Orange County Ca hen owners in the Orange County section

Basically, I love raising hens.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry for all your losses and troubles![​IMG] That's hard stuff.

Defiantly don't introduce the new birds until you've cleaned the coop and until you know they are not sick. You may not want to introduce them at all and just build a different coop.

Glad you joined and hopefully you'll have better chicken experiences in the future!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your losses, good luck with the rest of your flock.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry for you losses. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. X2 on Mountain Peeps advice. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in rebuilding your flock.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry for your losses. It is never easy to lose them for any reason. Make sure your coop is really well cleaned up and disinfected before you introduce new birds. The immune systems are getting pretty strong by 4 and 5 months of age.

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to ours!

7. naturalwildlife

Thanks for all the comments. My yard is so small, and the dander does fly, so I don't really have room to build another other than next to the old one, but I am waiting at least until they are four months old, or perhaps five months (if I can handle hens inside that long). I do enjoy watching them grow!

8. naturalwildlife

[​IMG]i

[​IMG]
    above: inside "pullet" house until I can take them outside; below, current coop for older three hens with two hen houses

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you had mareks on your property, you will not get rid of it you would have to remove dirt to quite some depth - everywhere the birds were, get rid of coop etc. etc. Are you certain they had mareks?

Birds that survive Mareks are carriers for life. If you sell any they will carry it. If you bring in new birds they will be exposed to it. There are some great threads on Mareks here, covered in great depth- it is extremely pervasive.

10. naturalwildlife

I had a necropsy done on one hen, so I know it was there. Thanks for the reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by