Four 7 1/2 wk old Silkie chicks; ideas on genders? *Pic heavy*

Debbienmousey

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Washington, Georgia, USA
Hey all. This is the first group of Silkie chicks that I hatched myself, second group overall. My first group came from a hatchery. So I'm not very good at determining Silkie genders yet, although I know they can be hard to tell anyway; but I thought I'd give y'all the challenge of helping me out here
smile.png
. These little guys are from CJ Exotic's stock, and they're about 7 1/2 weeks old. The captions/descriptions of pictures will be above the photo. Note: I only have 1 of each color chick, just multiple pictures of the same one

Buff:
Headshot; I think this one is a girl. She just looks feminine to me, lol. (although you never know)
dsc08368.jpg

Full body view
dsc08358y.jpg

Side
dsc08401s.jpg

Upper view
dsc08419s.jpg

Side/wing view
dsc08420g.jpg

Dark Partridge:
Headshot
dsc08337.jpg

Another headshot..sorry it's blurry.
dsc08428b.jpg

Side view
dsc08352c.jpg

Front/side view; this one..I'm not sure about this one. I've been wondering if the bright color on the back of the head would be little streamers coming out and/or just the coloring that male Partridges get..This is also the only one that I've seen sparring.
dsc08377d.jpg

Bottom view
dsc08396k.jpg

Side/wing view
dsc08422b.jpg

B/B/S, Blue, or Splash:
It was a windyyy day
dsc08348m.jpg

This baby is still so patchy with his/her fluff. It hatched from a B/B/S egg..I know for sure it's not black, so it's either splash or blue. I'm thinking this one is a boy; like the Dark Partridge it's getting some dark color on the back of it's head, although that could just be it's adult fluff coming in.
dsc08357h.jpg

Headshot
dsc08367t.jpg

dsc08387p.jpg

Light Partridge:
dsc08380s.jpg

The two Partridges
dsc08388w.jpg

Yawn or BIG pant..not sure which one..
dsc08391i.jpg

Buff & Light Partridge
dsc08398i.jpg

Upper View
dsc08411d.jpg

Headshot. I'm thinking this one is a girl. She's much lighter in color than the "dark" partridge one, and I'm not sure why. She hatched from an egg labeled Partridge, but perhaps she was incorrectly labeled and she's actually something else?..I don't know. Your input is greatly appreciated
smile.png

dsc08413a.jpg

Side/wing view.
dsc08415q.jpg

Just for fun:
A little hatchling rivalry going on between these two.
dsc08349z.jpg

Here's my first offspring from my trio of Buttercups, a cockerel named Westley. (The reason he's kinda slumping like that is because it was a HOT day)
dsc08389r.jpg

Close-up of Westley. I think he'll be quite handsome, just like his daddy
smile.png
dsc08342k.jpg

Any and all input is welcome. I have another batch of 5 baby Silkies which will be 2 weeks old tomorrow that I might post pics of also..Two of them have funny looking wings. 3 of them, they're wing feathers are starting to come in and they're kinda curly/split looking; like an adult Silkie. These other 2, they're wing feathers appear to be all smooth; and they don't have much of a crest. But they have black/blue skin, feathered legs, and 5 toes per foot. Anyway...
smile.png

I'm thinking 3 and 4 (the last 2 silkies) are cockerels, especially #3. They look to have streamers, but, that doesn't mean that the first 2 won't get streamers. hey are very pretty birds though
smile.png
Your buttercup is very handsome, I have never seen one before.

Quote:
Thank you!
smile.png

Flowerchicks, thanks! I'm pretty sure #3 is a cockerel too. And I had never seen a Buttercup before either until last year when we bought 6 chicks at TSC, we thought they were Ameraucanas! They have the chipmunk striping when they're little. Very friendly and curious birds. Easy to tell the cockerels apart because of their big "buttercup" combs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom