four bantams in the city

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moonflower17, Jan 20, 2014.

1. moonflower17

moonflower17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    I inherited two bantams from my daughter when she moved out of my house and I moved back. Maude died when a dog dug through the fence and got her. I then bought three more and introduced them to the older hen. Three are under a year old. I have Dottie (the oldest one, from my daughter - a Cochin), Emma (a silkie), Ruby (black with red feathers around her neck), and the smallest, a little red hen I call Josie. Josie's at the bottom of the pecking order, Dottie of course is at the top.

I'm new to backyard chickens. I really love my girls.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

4. moonflower17

moonflower17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome!

Quick story. I know there's a natural pecking order that is going to exist. But for several weeks after getting the new hens, the little red hen was really being thrown out of the flock. They were so mad at her, and it is true she was somewhat of a control freak at first. But I felt so sorry for her. Even when I opened the coop in the morning to let 'em out and feed 'em some corn, the little red hen stayed behind, afraid to follow the flock. I felt so sorry for her.

So one night I went out when they were roosting. As usual, the little red hen wasn't roosting with them––she was banned from the group even at night. I talked to each of them and gently told them they needed to let her be with them. It was as if they heard me. Then I looked at the little red hen who had the name "Jolene" at the time. "Jolene", because she seemed to be always causing trouble; like the Dolly Parton song.

So I got the feeling she didn't like her name. So I said to her, "You want a new name? You don't like your name, do you? How about if we call you Josie from now on? OK, you're Josie, Josie, Josie!"

So the next morning guess what... she followed the flock outside. At from that day on they starting roosting together at night! She's still at the bottom of the totem pole, but they're much more tolerant of her.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - have fun with your little flock.

7. SunsetMeadow

SunsetMeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Hope you have fun!!!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] maybe you are a natural born chicken whisperer plus looks like you are a great baker as well - yum

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have ya here with us [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by