Four birds missing, no prints in the snow?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Mar 5, 2012.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    My birds free range during the day, and I close up the coop at night....but sometimes I forget to latch the door. I won't forget again. We've not had a single predator in 3 years, until last night. This morning I went out and my 4 largest birds are missing. Nothing left but a very few feathers, no trace of blood. We have snow outside the coop, and a dusting on the coop floor, and there are no prints, not even chicken prints. I can still see my footprints from last evening though. They must have been snatched from their roosts? What could so easily take 4 very large chickens?

I've been sketching plans for a run. It was going o be a tall fence, but now I'm thinking enclosure.

2. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    It occurred to me that it is pretty windy. It's not impossible that tracks could have been blown over. Still, what would take 4 large birds? Would it have to be a pack of something? Or are there predators that would return 4 times in one night? I'm traumatized.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Coyotes are packed up this time of year. I bet you had a raid on your place from a family unit.

Sorry for your losses.

4. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Coyotes are a possibility. We have lots of them.

After some hiking and investigation, I did find 2 of the birds a good distance from the coop on my neighbors property. One was simply missing feathers and not eaten. One is missing the head and neck. Feathers are scattered in a pile nearby. So what what do this? Racoon? I have seen a weasel down by the river near the coop, but that was months ago. An owl? Would an owl kill 4 birds? I'm still baffled by the lack of tracks, even with the wind. The snow is pretty crunchy.

5. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    Oh, that's terrible!! So sorry for your losses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by