1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

four chickens and five eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BackwoodsDiva, Oct 1, 2012.

1. BackwoodsDiva

BackwoodsDiva Hatching

Jul 4, 2012
    Northern Maine
    can chickens lay more than one egg in a 24 hour period? either someone is messing with me or my four ladies have produced five eggs the last two days......anyone? got two barred rocks and two RIR.....for the longest time i only got three at a time and now this?! crazy chicken stuff..

2. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chirping

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    The same thing happened to me two days ago! I have 7 pullets and 8 eggs! Thanks for starting this thread, i been meaning to start one but never had time. Hope someone knows the answer.

3. duckie mama

duckie mama In the Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    it is possible that one laid late in the evening after you collected then laid just before you collected again. they need at least 22 hours between eggs and if they lay at 5 pm today they will lay at 4 tomorrow. my 3 astralorps are good at this and it can jack with your mind

4. mscallisto

mscallisto Chirping

Sep 21, 2012
    I have 2 australops and they are laying machines. I routinely get 1 to 2 eggs every day. I have had a few instances of 3 in one day. That's usually when I can hear them announcing their laying all day long, lol.

5. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chirping

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Just to say...
    I got 12 eggs today with 7 pullets! A big surprise!:D

6. sezjasper

sezjasper Songster

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I also have four girls and have gotten five eggs a couple times. But I've noticed that the day after a five-egg day, I will have a three-egg day. My girls don't want their "mom" getting greedy...lol...

7. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chirping

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Normally they each lay an egg every Sunday and I get 5 eggs each day other than Sunday. I was just amazed that I got 10 eggs the other day. I gave them treets as a reward, they were so happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by