Four chickens gone

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by spooklaw, Oct 13, 2010.

1. spooklaw

spooklaw Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    We lost four yesterday. Went to let them out this morning, and four were gone. No sign of anything in the coop. Checked around no feathers or any signs they were killed. But they were scared off before dark, never even went in last night .

2. biggin

biggin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Not sure how your coop/run is setup or what size chickens you have, but sounds like you have owls. They usually take them off to eat them.

3. spooklaw

May 27, 2010
    We leave them out during the day. The coop is an old dog lot, with chicken wire ran all the around and on the ground and on top. Golden reds and black sexlinks is what kind they are. I would say average size. Do you think they would take four at one time? That is what is so puzzling.

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I would think chicken wire on top ,while not strong, would stop most owls and hawks from coming into run. Do you have any big gaps?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  5. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I'm sorry for your loss. I had birds go missing without a trace. I hope you figure out what it is.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hum. So they were inside your run, which you say is enclosed in wire? Or were they out free-ranging? It's perplexing if something got them out of your run with wire all around it, without any sign of blood. Really sorry for your loss. Hope you figure out what happened.

OH, just occurred to me. Is it possible you have a two-legged predator that came looking for dinner?

7. spooklaw

May 27, 2010
    No gaps. Thank you. I hope we figure this out too. I know we have coyotes, but never seen a hawk or an owl. I know that does not mean they are not there. Just very strange!

8. spooklaw

May 27, 2010
    They are free range during the day. Cooped up at night. But the coop of course is always open during the day until dark.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If they were inside a run and everything I find it strange that there was no blood or feathers. It could be owls but 4 at once...? Are you sure they arent just hiding somewhere?

10. spooklaw

May 27, 2010
    We have been looking some places. They are free range during the day. We are thinking something came through and scared/ran them off. We really don't know. We have no clue what happen. We just know that they all go into the coop together at night. But this morning only 5 were in there. So I guess it is safe to say there were gone before dusk yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by