1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Four chickens killed, no predator tracks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ninjascrub69, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Over the last 3-4 weeks i have lost four of my chickens, my BLRW roo, my lakenvelder pullet, my polish cockerel, and my black langshan pullet. There is snow on the ground, so EVERYTHING leaves tracks. The only tracks i have seen are rabbit tracks, and ground hog tracks. I have checked in the coop for predators, and cant find any openings for predators to get inside. What is it? [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Could you describe what the dead chickens look like? Are the carcasses left behind or do they disappear? Have they been eaten on at certain points and not others. Are they grown or small chicks? Do the attacks happen day or night?

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

My first batch of predators came in from above. They dropped from a tree onto the roof, climbed down the side, wiggled through a loosely secured outside wire, wiggled through an interior partition and started feasting on pellets and hoping for pullets. I will only say that they trouble me no more.

Somebody else had a problem with something tunneling into the coop, so check for secret underground passages too.

What sort of exterior protection does your coop have? Mine is only 2x4 farm fence covered with plastic sheet, so a small predator could easily get inside.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG] I don't know what it could be except for some type of bird. So sorry again

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Agreed. More details will help us, help you.

6. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:They were all differant. The BLRW only had his head missing, the lakenvelder had everything eaten but the bottom portion (legs/thighs), the langshan was gone (only feathers left) and the polish had his entrails, and legs eaten.
    Im not sure if they were killed during the day or night, i am gone all day, and dont get back untill its dark.

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They were all differant. The BLRW only had his head missing, the lakenvelder had everything eaten but the bottom portion (legs/thighs), the langshan was gone (only feathers left) and the polish had his entrails, and legs eaten.
    Im not sure if they were killed during the day or night, i am gone all day, and dont get back untill its dark.

Try checking them before and after work.

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:x3

9. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:Thanks

10. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY

No dog prints? All of the attacks happen inside the coop? Could there be a fox hole, or something coming up the bottom of the coop? Sounds gruesome. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by