Four chickens sell for $27,000.00?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Spookwriter, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Did I see it right? Kroger Company pays $27,000 for the top
    meat chickens from the Ohio State Fair? A pen of four chickens.

If that's the going price, my chickens are FOR SALE. I have a quarter million
    worth of birds, but am willing to deal.

(I believe the old record was also Krogers at $20,000.)

2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    thats crazy! I have some for sale too at that price. Not my luck. makes you wonder what the do with them.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    [​IMG]

Do they roast and baste themselves?!

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:Who owned the 4-some they bought, a 4h er, FFA or a different youth group, also bet the money go's to a collage fund. at the local fair a pair of clowns bought a lamb at 4.25 a lb live weight, from a 4h kid, thats over $600 bucks

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a tradition for a retailer to buy the first place livestock for an outrageous price at county and state fairs, they use it as publicity and community support, usually the animal goes to the processor just like any other meat animal, (they do this for pigs and beef cattle too at an auction at the end of the showing period) sometimes they let the kid keep it but that's NOT the norm. 4H is supposed to be a learning experience for the youth who participate. This includes choosing the best animal, raising, training to handle well in a show situation, and growing it for market. ... which means for butchering.

The money is the kids, though sometimes a percentage is given to the extension office to support other 4H opportunities for less able kids.

6. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    Quote:i believe it, chickens are really valuble to me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by