Four Chickens, Two Feeding Req's, One Coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dsbailey70, Aug 19, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    In my coop/run outside I've got my two 'new' Partridge Silkies (approx 1yo & 2yo), who are eating Purina's Layena crumbles. Inside in a spare room, I have two 1 month chicks (1 EE and 1 BR) in a 100 gallon plastic stock tank. They're eating Purina Start & Grow.

The chicks will go outside after the Silkies have been here for 2 weeks (quarantine for safety), on about August 28th. The coop & run has 2 sections that can be separated by closing a small door. That'll give them 2 weeks to get used to each other safely.

At the point I put them all together, on or about the 12th of September, I don't know what to do about their feed. The Silkies need their layer food, and the chicks will need the Start & Grow for about another 10 weeks. I know that the chicks should not start eating layer food before they're at least 18 weeks old. How can I manage this upcoming problem?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    People with mixed flocks feed a grower or all flock type of feed that's about 1 to 2% calcium and provide oyster shell on the side in a separate container. If you have active layers, make sure the calcium source is available all the time so they can pick it up when they feel the need.

3. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Thank you. The Start & Grow is 18% protein; not less than .75% calcium, and not more than 1.25%. I'm using the medicated version for my chicks right now.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Transitioning over time isn't a bad idea while they get used to picking at the oyster shell.

I can assure you, Start n grow is 18% protein and 1% calcium.

5. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Thanks...lol. I was revising that post when I read your last one. Can layers have the medicated feed, and can the eggs be eaten while they're on it?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  6. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I've read that extra calcium too soon can harm chicks and/or they're laying. Is this true; should I be worried or avoid letting them have the mixed feed? I don't have any other option for housing them right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by