Four Cornish Roasters found Dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bevsbirds, Jul 2, 2011.

1. bevsbirds

bevsbirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I have 16 Cornish Roasters that are 7 weeks old. My husband fed and watered them yesterday morning and everything was fine. He went back later in the afternoon and found 4 of them dead. There were no marks or anything that was evident that might explain what happened to them. So far, the others seem to be doing fine. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what may have happened and what I need to watch for with the others?

This is my first experience with chickens and I'm trying to learn. I wasn't prepared for this to affect me so much; kinda feel like giving up now. [​IMG]

2. wermfud

wermfud Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2008
    removed

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cornish X are not extremely hardy and can die from a variety of causes including heart attacks, heat prostration, etc.

4. bevsbirds

bevsbirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    No, they were not vaccinated when they were born. Is that something I should do in the future?

We were wondering too if the heat may have been an issue. It was around 90 degrees here yesterday. As a said before, this is my first experience with raising chickens. Should I consider a different breed for meat if I decide to do this again?

I can't say enough about how helpful this site has been to me already and, they are so right, it can definitely become addictive! Thank you so much to those who are taking the time to help me. It is very much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by