1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Four eggs hatched, will others follow after two days?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jmcoe, May 4, 2016.

1. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    my first time broody hen diligently sat on eleven eggs. Four hatched on day 21. She moved to next nest box and eggs were left all over the place. I put them near her and she tucked them under her and continues to sit. It is early day 24. I heard peeping of one egg yesterday when moving them. Any chance they might hatch? Should I intervene? Should I candle? I don't have an incubator, so if I start a pip hole, do I then place back under mama? Thanks very much. It's tough to hear peeping, but not see any progress!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Are you positive that these eggs that haven't hatched are on day 24? You might want to gently peel off some of the shell from the egg that the chick is peeping in. After making a small hole, leave the egg under the hen. Try candling the eggs to see if they have chicks. Don't break the white layer of membrane underneath the shell and note if it is thick and white or thin and clear. After breaking off some shell leave it with the hen. The chick might be finishing up the yolk and blood, but by day 24 it should be out. Is the shell harder than normal? This chick and any others need to hatch soon. The hen is going to leave the nest soon because the chicks are about three days old, so check her often to make sure the eggs stay warm. Hope this helps and please let me know what happens!

3. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Thank you so much for your reply. This morning I went down and she was off the nest with her other chicks. There was one more, newly hatched and wet chick in the nest. I thought it was dead, but it wasn't. I could t get her back on the nest, so brought baby to house and put it on a heating pad. She is fluffing up and peeping Lou,day. Hopefully, I can slip her u der mama tonight and it will go well. I candles remaining g eggs and two clearly hadn't developed. When I opened them there want anything in them. The remaining eggs looked "full" but not sure if they are alive. I have them on heating pad as well. Do you think I could rig up an incubator with a plastic bowl, heating pad and damp cloths? I'm thinking about trying to peel off a bit of out she'll and put them in this makeshift incubator. Not sure it that's a good idea.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    So happy you got the chick in time! I've not had any experience with incubators, only lots of broody hens. At this point, the other eggs probably won't hatch. Has there been any peeping, any noises? Put them next to your ear and try to listen for sounds. If there is nothing or a smell, they are probably dead or the eggs are rotten. Don't worry; this is common but sad if you have been looking forward to cute fluffy chicks. I might try the makeshift incubator but honestly I have no experience with incubators. Do you have other broody hens or hens laying eggs? Maybe try moving them around in different nests to keep them warm. If they haven't hatched by Day 25 or 26, open them. Like I said, you most likely won't get anything from these eggs and if you do they might not live. Make sure the heating pad isn't too hot (or cold!) and put the chick under mom as soon as she goes to bed with the others. Tomorrow keep a close eye on her because, being younger and weaker, she won't walk as well as the others. You might have to separate a day until she is stronger but not too long as you don't want the hen to reject her.

Hope this helps! Congrats on the chicks. [​IMG]

5. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. I did notice a famine smell, so decided to take a small bit of shell off and kept chipping away until I could see in. Clearly it had died. I ended up opening all of them and all were dead...I think. The last one was biggest. Still smaller than those that hatched. Not to sound sick, but I wrapped it up in a cloth and put on the heating pad. I'm pretty sure it's already gone, but will give it a little time today before admitting defeat. In the end, I think we'll have five Chickies from eleven eggs. I'm just thrilled to have the abandoned Chickies and she seems to be doing well. Almost walking. I. A little concerned that she may have that mushy chicken thing. Her tummy is pretty big and soft. No signs of infection, that I can see though, and she is peeping loudly. Guess we just have to wait and see. Thanks again for your insights.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    No problem! Sad to hear about the other chicks but five is pretty good! Hope the sixth makes it. I'm not sure what mushy chicken thing you mean...pictures might help.

7. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Well, fifth chick perked up and is now running around with the others! Even stole a bug from mama! Her tummy seems fine now. My fingers are crossed. The sixth chick really was too small. I dont think it was alive. I really appreciate the information and support from this board. My apologies for all of the typos and bad auto corrects in my messages....I should have paid closer attention![​IMG] If I can figure out how to post pics, I will. They are all adorable!

8. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
  9. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the video. Let's see if i got this to work! Of course, I forgot to take a pic of the newest chick now that she's doing so well! Typical of me! But I checked on her this morning and she's doing great. Thanks again!

10. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    They're so cute and fluffy! Glad to hear the fifth is doing well. Looks like mom is doing a good job. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by