Four eggs in 24 hours?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SpaceLamb, Oct 21, 2019.

1. SpaceLamb

SpaceLamb Chirping

Mar 6, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    I've posted about my pullet Scarlet before but here I am again. Scarlet has a bad habit of laying soft-shelled eggs overnight. We've been giving calcium citrate pills and that seems to be helping but it still happens every now and then.

The other day she popped out two shell-less eggs overnight, pretty typical of her. Then when we went to collect eggs at the end of the day we had five eggs with strong, solid shells. My issue is that we only have five pullets which means that even after the two overnight Scarlet managed to lay and put a shell on another egg. The next morning when we went to let the girls out of the coop we found another shell-less egg beneath where Scarlet roosts (she's the only one that sleeps on the bottom roost so we know for a fact it was her).

She's been laying for a little over two months now so I don't think it's just her still getting the hang of it but I was just wondering if anyone knew what would cause her to lay so many eggs. She's otherwise healthy and none of our other girl have any issues.

2. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    only thing I can think of is reproductive disorder. I've never seen other than if they were getting ready to brood 2 a day, but 4 a day is quite unusual. so Tagging some people that might know more about what is going on.

@casportpony
    @oldhenlikesdogs
    @Eggcessive

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    sourland and slordaz like this.
  4. SpaceLamb

SpaceLamb Chirping

Mar 6, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    She has no other symptoms though so I'm not sure. She's also never stopped laying she just lays shell-less or soft-shelled eggs overnight instead of shelled eggs during the day. Could impacted oviduct or salpingitis still be the cause?

slordaz likes this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like she's releasing multiple ovum. It takes roughly an hour or two to create an egg without a shell, but one with a shell takes nearly 24 hours to apply the shell. To me it sounds like she's young an fertile.

What are you feeding? Are you adding any extra lighting? Generally that's more common in spring under increasing light.

6. SpaceLamb

SpaceLamb Chirping

Mar 6, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    They're all eating DuMor Layer Crumbles with free choice oyster shell and we've also been giving her calcium citrate supplements to try and improve the shells. We're not adding any light so I don't think that could be it.

I'm hoping she's just young and taking a long time to get the hang of it because that'd be less heartbreaking than her having something wrong with her.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It can take some a few months to straighten out. As long as she's eating, drinking and scratching about I wouldn't worry too much.

8. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    just give them free choice oyster dump the calcium pills

9. SpaceLamb

SpaceLamb Chirping

Mar 6, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    They do get oyster shell but she still laid primarily soft-shelled eggs. The only thing that's really seemed to help was the calcium citrate.

10. SpaceLamb

SpaceLamb Chirping

Mar 6, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah she acts totally fine so we're not super worried, just more curious about why she just can't get it right. Sometimes she acts a little off but then she'll pop out a shell-less egg so I know they don't make her feel great but she gets over it fairly quickly.
    Hopefully she works everything out on her own :fl

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: