Four hens--one roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beakkeeper, Dec 4, 2008.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Hi all

I know the MINIMUM for roosters/hen is about 1/8-15, but I know someone who has a BO, Partridge Rock, BA, and BR and ONE Chantecler roo. Her chickens seem happy enough...no feathers missing, no overactive hyper roo, and they have a very small coop. How is this possible? Could I have one roo and eight hens?

2. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    Yes. I have a roo and three hens. Just don't have two roos. Some roos are more "aggressive" than others

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't personally have any roo's but my neighbor and some friends do. I agree that some are more agressive than others. Also some are more noisey too.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I'm not sure where you got your MINIMUM #s from but as far as I know there's a maximum certainly but no MINIMUM. I mate in pens that vary from 1M/1F to 1M/10F.

5. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    we have 5 banty Gals and 6 banty males, plus 4 Barred Rock Gals with 1 Barred Rock Roo and 4 PArtridge Rock Gals and 1 Partridge Rock Roo-- they all live together in one barn with an attached run... no missing feathers or injuries-- except one OE Roo (Rip) Who seemed to think he needed to show everyone HE was"BIG boss" about 6 weeks ago-- and lost some of his Waddles in the Fray!

Some Breeds, Roos or Hens, just do NOT mix well-- We are finding this out-- and WISH Ideal would have told us that California Whites/Production Whites have tendancies toward cannibalism, especially around more docile breeds!!!

It would have saved 9 of my Australorps, Wyandottes and Aracaunas from some serious injuries!!
    Didn't find this out until both the local Vet and the 4-H leader heard about the trouble we were having!

(IMO-- breeders should know and inform patrons of these type of issues!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by