Four hens. Two laying. Five eggs in two days????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OutlawAlice, Dec 9, 2013.

1. OutlawAlice

OutlawAlice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    Hello! I'm hoping to get some education. I can't math my chickens apparently. [​IMG]

I have a black cochin laying, a black silkie laying, and two easter eggers. The cochin, Tallulah lays small rounded and very slightly tan tinted eggs daily. A couple of weeks ago, smaller white "skinny" eggs started showing up at a rate of about two a day. I'm positive these are from Queefa, my silkie. This is due to subtracting two big eggers from two bantam layers. Plus, I figure when my big girls start to lay, they'll be dramatically colored.

This past Friay, I got two eggs. A roundish one and a long, skinny one. That's the pic I've attached. No biggie - just means Tallulah and Queefa both laid. Later that evening. Another roundish egg! [​IMG]

Saturday morning - another roundish egg. Saturday night - another skinny egg! [​IMG]

Basic math says Tallulah - cochin - laid three eggs in two days and Queefa - silkie laid two. No stretch for a silkie - but can cochins lay two a day???

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Chickens can occasionally lay two eggs in the same day for various reasons, if their ovulation cycle gets out of sync, or they have an egg get delayed in the shell gland etc, here is a link on broiler breeders that talks about multiple eggs the same day http://www.spottedcowpress.ca/chapters/02FemaleAnatomy.pdf There is also the possibility that one of your EEs is laying brown eggs.

3. OutlawAlice

OutlawAlice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    I thought EE's laid much larger eggs. Both the cochin and the silkie weigh about 2 pounds, and the EE's weigh about 7 pounds. The eggs are only 2 inches long. I have a friend with an EE and his EE eggs are wayyy larger. That's why I was ruling them out. Unless they are fart eggs???

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Tallulah probably did outdo herself and laid three eggs in two days and hopefully it wasn't an EE. But, most pullets of any breed usually start laying small "pullet" eggs that gradually get larger to full size as they continue along in their laying cycle. EEs are pretty variable anyhow since they are mixes and what and how they will lay depends on what they are mixed with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by