Four Month Hiatus from Egg Laying - Normal for 3-year-old Runners? Tylan Connection?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi, fellow duck lovers and stewards [​IMG]

I am in no hurry, but beginning to wonder. Prior to this, the longest rest from egg-laying among my runners was two months.

There is no way to be sure, but the conditions I have though may be delaying their restart include:

addition of the first drake to our flock (and subsequent reduction, for close to three months, of layer feed)
    Tylan administered the week or two before the last few eggs were laid last late autumn

Wouldn't mind hearing others' experiences with these conditions. And yes, there is a tiny little worry that I am missing something I need to adjust.

Due to some relationship issues combined with Romy's recurrent egg issues (back to soft eggs, but not laying much), the buffs (drake, two ducks) are separate from the runners and Romy.

So the runners and Romy are eating a combination of Nutrena and Blue Seal Organic layer pellets, with light sprinkles a few times a week of high quality cat kibble. Salad two to four times a week, peas almost daily (less than a pound for 13 ducks)

Calcium gluconate in overnight water four times a week

The buffs, by the way, started laying this week. So both Hazel and Carmella seem fine. I suspect that some of the eggs I thought were Romy's were in fact from the other buffs. Ooops.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    One of the runners must have been on the Duck Forum yesterday.

This morning there was a lovely green egg waiting for me in the night pen.

Those girls have hearts of gold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by