four month old barred Rock with foot injury

Pied Piper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Hello,
I noticed a couple of days ago that my four month old Barred Rock seemed to favor her right foot slightly. Today when the girls were out in the yard I noticed Penelope was holding her right foot up. When they returned to the coop, she had a defined limp. I just brought her inside to take a look, and noticed the foot was swollen to twice the size. I palpated for fractures, but couldn't find any misalignment. She was sore in one spot, but I saw no signs of any penetration, now broken skin, no external injuries. The swollen area was soft but not particularly hot. I will attach a couple of pictures to help with potential diagnosis and treatment.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Penelope is one of four young hens among a mixed age group totaling eleven.

Is the ankle joint swollen? Have you seen any signs of a respiratory disease in the flock? Does she have any sores on her breast bone from lying down often? She could have broken her foot, but mycoplasma synovitis or gout can cause swelling in one or both feet.

Thanks for the response. The ankle is not swollen, more the foot. The left side at the base has a large swelling and the middle toe is bad, but the overall foot is swollen as well. There is no sign of respiratory issues in the flock at all. I didn't notice any bare spots or sores on her breast, but will double check that tomorrow. She doesn't appear to be laying down any more than anyone else. They are eating well, active, and just finishing their molt.
I did work with a redtail hawk years ago that had gout. Her feet looked quite a bit like this, but it affected both feet and she was an old bird. We gave vitamin A which seemed to help.
This bird is young with fairly rapid onset, and it's only in one foot. I did do some research and wonder if I should set another water bowl out to make sure she has access to enough water.
What I did think about tonight is that all four of the young hens are roosting on the square perch in front of the nest boxes rather than on the roosting ladder that has thicker branches to sit on. Could it be irritation from the square perch? It's only about 1 1/2 inches on each side.

Back
Top Bottom