Four names for One breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LittleChooks, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Haven't a clue!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I think...

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. Definatly...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LittleChooks

LittleChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Aberdeenshire, UK
    Hi,
    I was thinking of getting 2 Bovans Goldlines, but my local place only does meadowsweet ranger, my freind offered me an isa warren a while back, and an Isa Brown looks similar... HELP!!!

Are these all the same breed, the one that British Free Range Farms always use for eggs, the "normal" looking chicken you might say?

2. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    I just did a quick google search and it looks like they are all sex links. So they are very similar, but the breeds used to make them may be different. Basically they are bred to be color sexed at hatch and lay lots of eggs.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    In a way, yes they're all the same 'breed' (sort of). They are all various names for red SLs, which aren't a breed, but a hybrid cross of a pure red rooster over a hen carrying silver genes.

There are different ways you can create this hybrid. For example, a common approach is to use a New Hampshire red rooster over a White Rock hen. However, you can mix and match the breeds, just so long as you have the right colors involved.

There are dozens of various names the hybrid can be found under, not just the ones that you found.

5. LittleChooks

LittleChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Aberdeenshire, UK
    Ahh, thanks guys. I understand better now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by