Four New Chicks At Glenn Cottage Eggery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rebbetzin, Sep 5, 2010.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Friday I went to the feedstore.. and got four new chicks. They are "older." Two Ameraucanas and two Red Sex Links

Here they are.

[​IMG]

They are "skiddish" of humans. I sat in the pen with them for about 45 minutes yesterday, just sitting still, not trying to touch them. They came up to me, I was so tempted to reach out to catch one. But... I just sat there quietly.

Then I put my big chickens in the tractor, right next to the baby chicks. I fed the big chickens some lettuce by hand. The chicks were watching intently. I stuck some lettuce in the wire for them, they wouldn't take it until I went away. But, it is a first step.

They were kept with hundreds of other chicks their own age in a huge covered area at the feedstore. The only thing they know of humans, is they come with a big net and catch some chicks, and then they are gone.

My last ones were tiny babies when I got them so it was easier, they weren't so afraid of me. But, I will keep trying to make friends with them.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I bet you'll succeed!

Good luck.

3. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    They're so cute! Just give it time. Your two EEs look like my twins Scrappy and Coco. LOL

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Cute little ones!!!

[​IMG]

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Try a slice of bread. All of my gals would sell their souls for a piece of bread ![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by