Four new chicks!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Arztwolf, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    The feed store got in a new shipment of chicks and I was lucky enough to get there before they where all gone!

The bins I chose mine from where all labeled "HENS ONLY" so hopefully I won't get any roos (three is enough).

According to what the labels I got a: Partridge Chanticleer, Barred Rock, Cuckoo Maran and a Black Giant.

The Chanticleer has decided I am "Mama" and will stand and peep forlornly til I pick her up. Did I mention I've only had these chicks for 9 hours?

PC is named Agatha, the BR is Zeetha, the CM is Jenka and the BG is Mama Gkika. Characters from the webcomic Girl Genius.

Here is a crappy picture of them, I'll get a better one tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Aww they are adorable.

Congratulations on your new babies!

1 person likes this.
  3. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Thank you!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awww, so cute! [​IMG]

5. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Sadly, the little Partridge Chanticleer, Agatha, died this morning.[​IMG] She was really tiny (don't know if that had anything to do with it) and kept her eyes shut most of the time. She had no discharge, labored breathing and her poop looked normal (no pasty butt).

The other three are doing good, just not 100% sure on Jenka's breed. The sign said "Cuckoo Maran" but all the pictures of chicks I've looked at don't have the leg/foot feathering she does. I'll just have to wait and see.
    [​IMG]
    Agatha.

[​IMG]
    Zeetha

[​IMG]
    Mama Gkika

[​IMG]
    Jenka and her feathered legs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went back to the feed store and intended to only get two more, instead I got four.[​IMG]
    And here they are: Another Jersey Giant, a California White, a Rhode Island Red and a replacement Partridge Chanticleer. No names yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh I am sorry for your loss!

1 person likes this.
  7. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Well, the PC I got to replace her, aka Agatha ll, died tonight. The same way as #1 did. Loud cheeping with eyes closed, followed by collapse and death several minutes late. She was fine the first two days I had her and all the others are ok. No idea what happened, might be some genetic issue since they where the same breed, from the same store and came from the same hatchery (same shipment too).

In good news, the Barred Rock (Zeetha) is the friendliest chick I've ever had. When I open the cage she hopes out and roosts on my arm.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by