Four Questions in One ....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rhonda0115, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Rhonda0115

Rhonda0115 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    I have two almost 1-year old Pekin ducks. Both were supposed to be females but I regularly catch one of them mating the other and 'she' is much bigger than the other one. Is this common or could I have a Drake in the mix? I get two eggs a day from 'them/someone', so not sure if one is laying two eggs or one from each of them. Tail feathers are the same and they quack (loudly and bossily).

Question #1: Common for two females to mate? Is this establishing a pecking order?

Question #2: How do you tell the Gender of a white duck?

I just got 3 Khaki Campbells ducklings and have 4 more (female) Pekins coming tomorrow. I do not know the gender of the Campbells (yet).

Question #3: Should I introduce them to the two older Pekins or give them two different runs to be in. Afraid the older ones won't be nice to my younger ones.

Question #4: If by chance I end up with a Campbell Drake, will he mate with my Pekins? And is this bad...?

Thank you for your advice!!

2. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    I'll take a shot!

1) Not really sure, but judging by your other descriptions (specifically, both QUACKING loudly) I would say it's possible. I've just never seen it personally. I have heard, though, that when there is no drake a female will grow the curled tail feather as a drake would have. Pretty cool.

2) I go by voice and tail feathers.

3) If they are that old I'd go for it, but I'm probably a bit lax compared to others. I was given two Pekins a couple years ago ("Easter presents" that grew up.. grrr) and they were not too old- were just losing all their yellow. It's sink or swim around here ;) so I tossed them into my pond with everyone else. It didn't take long for the pecking order to get worked out and everyone is fine to this day. If it were a *single* newbie I would take more caution but with them being paired already they at least have one another if outcast for a time.
    ****wait, wait... edit- if you have all of yours in runs, I would separate. Mine are all free-range, all the time and have a sizable body of water. There is plenty of room for anyone to get away from others at any time. Acres.****

4) Probably. I have Pekins and Mallards and this is the first year they are all of breeding age together. I have seen some definite "line crossing" going on the past few weeks. LOL! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Your two pekins are girls. They quack, they don't have curled tail feathers, you get 2 eggs a day. They are girls.

I have 5 girls. They were having a threesome today. Kind of funny. They did it yesterday too. The ducky dance has been popular recently. Tis the season... even if there aren't boys around lol

2 people like this.
  4. Rhonda0115

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    *whew* I'm glad they are girls. The whole 'ducky dance' as you called it [​IMG] had me confused.

5. Rhonda0115

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    I have the ability to free range but prefer to keep them in runs (I move the runs around the place) due to dogs, raccoons, coyotes, etc.

Interesting about your line crossing Mallards and Pekins....do you hatch any of your eggs?

My Campbells came to me unsexed, so I hope I don't have all drakes...guess I'll have to wait to see some color to determine. They are only 4 days old. Pretty little things...never had them before....

6. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    i've yet to see any of my Pekins lay. Unless I'm sorely mistaken at who laid this bator full of eggs next to my bed.. LOL! Mama Mallard has been laying a lot lately in strange places (and the strange places part didn't start until I found and cleared out this huge nest full) so I'm fairly certain these are hers. I am definitely on the lookout for a Pekin nest though, I'd love to see that too!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  7. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    In fact, do Pekins generally go broody? I don't know! Aren't they bred for meat/production? Either way this is the first season mine are old enough, so...

8. Rhonda0115

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    Mine are in the same coop/run as my hens. I kept two golf balls in one of the nesting boxes (heard that helped everyone want to lay). Well, my ducks lay early in the morning and then my hens get in the same box and lay (next to the box that contained the golf balls). I left 3 chicken eggs one time. One of the hens and one of the ducks took turns setting on them. They even moved the golf balls to "their box". One by one, the eggs disappeared. I figured it was just too early....it was early February. I'm going to try it again when the weather gets a little warmer and see what happens.

I'll be separating the ducks out eventually. I don't have problems with anyone messing with anyone else (although the Rooster thinks the ducks are sexy...and anything else in the pen).

9. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Pekin ducks dont usually go broody. However it does depend on the duck some might but mine never have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by