Four roosters, who do I keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frogz, Oct 26, 2013.

1. frogz

frogz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Springfield, IL
    I have four roosters to four hens! Oh no! But I love all my chickies...how do I choose? The oldest is a buff brahma bantam, then the twins a buff orpington and a Easter Egger, and the newest is a black frizzle. Any opinions?

2. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Whichever one or ones are the friendliest towards people and gentlest on the hens. Breed doesn't matter too much, however a lager bird will be tougher on the ladies just because of its size. If you have bantam hens you should probably take that into account.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I heartily disagree with the above about keeping the friendliest rooster. Keep the most respectful. Friendly roosters tend to become aggressive roosters as time goes by.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2. If these boys are youngsters, it's hard to be sure about mature behavior. The ones that are in your face as adolescents tend to be bad guys as they mature. I have also had roosters become more aggressive (people aggressive) at two or three years of age. My only buff brahma bantam was a really really nice boy, but you have to evaluate the individuals that you have. Good luck, Mary

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I like the rooster that is quite and respectful, and keeps away from me...... I kind of like the second rooster so to speak. He will work under me better than the roo who thinks he is the top guy. But really, when they are young, it is a crap shoot.

6. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I try to keep cockerals until they're about 5mo old or older. I've got a second mini-coopette that I'll house them in until I can truly evaluate them.

I've generally kept the 2nd to top guy. The bottom of the heap generally turned mean on me. The Alpha was just an all round jerk. The middle of the road guys are the ones that generally get to stay in our flock.

I've now gone through this three times - just sent all my boys to Camp Frigidaire this afternoon....so come Christmas, will be starting anew with a bunch of new boys to see who's going to be our flock's next top man. What fun for 2014!

7. Alicatt

Alicatt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    Personalities will emerge, my brahma rooster was my absolute favorite bird, he was big and beautiful, so much personality and was a hoot to watch run. I also have a polish roo who is spastic and erratic, and not very bright. Well, brahma boy was a bit of a rapist. He moved and the hens scattered. One morning polish roo was missing, couldn't figure it out, he was in fear for his life, wedged behind the coop. Every time he'd poke his head out brahma boy would charge. I separated the run into 2 halves so polish roo could eat. The brahma would crow 15 times at a clip. We culled him yesterday. Very bittersweet, but the hens were happier within minutes. If my chickens free ranged without me, I may have kept him, so ask yourself what you need a rooster for.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Keep the one that's biggest and prettiest, as long as he's not mean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by