1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

four weeks old tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nic, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Nic

Nic Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2007
    UK
    We've moved the chicks outside this week during the day into their new run. I built it with my Dad using dismantled pallets - it cost just a few pence for the staples I used to fix the chicken wire on and they are loving it. We're planning the henhouse next but waiting to see how many hens we have before starting to see how big it'll need to be [​IMG]
    Here's the chicks at almost four weeks old. Still no idea what the black ones breed is or whether I have roos or hens:
    Here's Rhonda
    [​IMG]

and Wobble (who is big, I'm wondering if he's a roo)
    [​IMG]

and Punzel:
    [​IMG]

here's Feathers, our one winged chick, who is doing really well and feathering up nicely - this photo doesn't do him /her justice really

[​IMG]

and finally Freddie, who I confess is probably my favourite and the one I most hope is a hen (being held by my son, who also adores Freddie)
    [​IMG]

and a quick pic of their run [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    They are so cute!! Love your run!! I personally think they all look like roos. Wobbles & Feathers may not be, I can't see the side of their heads well enough to look at their wattles to say for sure. Freddie's wattles don't look quite so big or so red, but they still like a roo's. I hope that everything works out well for you!!

3. thechickenwhisperer

thechickenwhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Too cute-and great pics! Your tractor is neat-was it hard to build?

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hi,

Everything looks great! Your birds are beautiful, too.

Are the red ones Rhode Island Reds? My two are now 4wks and 2 days and they have no real combs to speak of AT ALL.

Feathers does look like a hen to me, though.

Great idea to wait on the coop to decide how many you wish to have!

-Meghan

5. Nic

Nic Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2007
    UK
    Thanks all [​IMG] Gulping at the idea they might all be roos, that'd be a real shame [​IMG]

The tractor was pretty straightforward although like all jobs took a bit longer than I was anticipating. I had a £zero budget so I went round some industrial estates and begged some old pallets which I then dismantled - that was easily the trickiest bit. My plan for a coop is along similar lines with dismantled pallet wood.

We're definitely hooked on the idea of chicken keeping so I'm now trying to decide whether to start with eggs to hatch, chicks or fully grown already hens if we don't have a couple in there already.

6. Nic

Nic Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2007
    UK
    I think the browns / reds are RIR on what people on here have kindly advised - still no idea about the black ones although someone suggested Black Stars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by