Four whole boxes of chicks....long no pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, May 12, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My mail lady was coming up the road so I crossed the road to save her the turn around she usually makes.

As I walked up to her I could see she was not a happy camper and looking ill. As I got closer I could tell why...the smell was horrid!

I asked her what in the world that smell was...she said "I have baby chicks to deliver and they stink bad".I looked in the back and sure enough there were 4 full boxes of chicks but not a peep could be heard.

I said...that is not right or normal...they should not smell like that. She told me she tried to call the woman at 8:30 this morning when they arrived to come and pick them up but she failed to reach her so she was delivering them because it was smelling up the post office.

I could not stand it so I told her we needed to check them...if they needed food or water, I had some in the house and we could get them fixed up before she went on her way.She was not going to allow me to look at them but my pleading won her over...I told her whoever bought them would be thankful someone cared and took the time to check on them and give them food and water if they needed it..so she went to the back with me in tow and pulled the boxes to us and gently undid the lid to the box...there was a full box of dead chicks! So I told her to grab another box and open it. Same thing. All 4 boxes were full and all were dead! I could not help it...I broke down into tears as we opened these boxes...frantically looking for any signs of life.

These chicks were shipped from"Minnesota" (she would not let me see the name of the hatchery) and they were shipped via REGULAR MAIL...5 days ago! Such a needless waste and she has to deliver them(along with my name and number so she can tell the lady who forced her to open the boxes and check on them) and this person is receiving 4 boxes of dead and decaying chicks.

All I can say is.....I came in the house and immediately went to my 6 girls and patted each one.

I hope the ABSOLUTE IDIOT that packed and shipped those chicks comes down with a severe case of the runs and vomitting that lasts for days! Hopefully that would send the point home about how those poor chicks must have felt in a box dying and no way to save themselves.

Oh I am just sick! Good thing she would not let me know which hatchery it was because I would post it here, build a webpage and announce their disgusting treatment of animals and as much as I despise PETA...I would call them too! Oh I am furious! I am also still sad and sickened.

Thanks for reading/listening.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Unreal....[​IMG]

[​IMG] for you! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    awful completley awful thanks for sharing cetawin

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Oh my... [​IMG]

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Absolutely disgusting!
    I wish your mail lady had let you see the shipper's name & address. At least you'd know who NOT to deal with.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I won't order form anyone in that State after seeing that.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  7. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    What a sad, sad situation. It is a shame the mail carrier wouldn't show you the name. Hopefully, the lady will call you and she'll tell you.

8. starshrike

starshrike Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Poor chicks! Thats why I'm trying to get either local or from the feedstore that recieves chicks from the CA hatcher (Belt)

9. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I agree I wish I knew the hatchery. It would save all of us that love chicks, to be spared.

What a horrible story :thun

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well if the lady calls me I will find out where they came from and I will let you all know.

I do not want anyone here that loves chicks buying from them.

Last edited: May 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by