Four Year Old Hen Laying in November!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by casportpony, Nov 11, 2013.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have any of you ever experienced this or know what's causing it? This hen has laid over 35 eggs so far and now I'm starting to worry about her. Her last eggs before the two this month were laid in September, so I thought she was through for the year... guess I was wrong.

-Kathy

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Kathy,

Did your hen molt? I have one that is finishing up her molt and beginning to lay again, and I thought she was going to be done until the day-light hours got longer.

Does your hen usually stop for the winter? Not a lot of details to go on.....

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Peafowl do not lay all year round they are usually done by aug /sept in the US

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oh so sorry -- I picked up on the question and didn't realize it was a peafowl thread....[​IMG]

5. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]I kinda figured that is what happen but hey thanks for the input even if it was for a Pea [​IMG]

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, thanks for the input! And to answer your questions, she does not appear to be coming out of molt and she did not do this last year. From what little I know about peafowl is that she laid an unusually large quantity of eggs this year, at least 35.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  7. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Did you let her sit a clutch last year?

8. I have at least one hen do the same thing each year. It has never caused a problem. I had a hen in the bronze pen that has been laying an egg or two every week since the season ended. I wormed the other day and all three were stocky and up to weight so I don't worry.

9. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    My BSSP pen is still dropping 1-2 eggs a week here,they did the same all last year too

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I guess I just like to worry, lol. Last night was egg number 6 since I started this thread on the 11th, so I think that puts her at over 40 eggs this season.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by