fowl / avian pox vaccine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckinnewbie, Feb 16, 2012.

1. cluckinnewbie

cluckinnewbie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    After recently losing my Roo to fowl pox I wanted to ask a question about vaccines.
    A) Recommended sites to buy? I have bought a lot from Twin City Supplies recently but mostly rely on local feedstores who are hit and miss with meds these days.
    B) Any particular brand? I know it is inexpensive but I have seen on google a few types.
    C) The meds all say for chicks 8 weeks and up online... Can I vaccinate pullets? I thought the vaccine was only given to "peeps" not older birds. Can I do my whole flock? None are over 2 yrs but many are under 6-8 months.
    D) I have read about plucking feathers under the wing at the arm pit area about the size of a nickel for injection site, and then to watch for the "take" spot a week later.
    But does anyone recommend a certain gauge needle? Or another injection site they rely on.
    E) Is there a standard dose given by weight or age?
    Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right and protect all the rest from this horrible disease.
    Thank you for the help.

2. cluckinnewbie

cluckinnewbie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    *bump*

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am sorry for the loss of your roo. I can answer only some of your questions as I do not vaccinate, but I know a bit about the vaccine.
    A and B I can't help you with.
    C) This vaccine needs to be given annually. It only renders a bird partially immune from the virus and the immunity wears off over time. Each year you will need to re-vaccinate all your birds to prevent outbreaks.
    D) The vaccine is administered with a funky little applicator that comes in the vaccine packaging. It's not quite a needle, but sharp and holds a minute quantity of the vaccine. The vaccine site is not set in stone, but it helps to use the same site on all birds to make reading results easier. Under the wing is generally the easiest spot because there are fewest feathers there.
    E) The vaccine is given in such small amounts that the dosage is a standard thing. When I say small amounts I mean something like 1/10 of a cc, if I recall correctly. Tiny amounts.

Again, I don't vaccinate so all my info comes from second hand info. I seem to recall that Lollipop has vaccinated his birds against fowl pox in the past. You may want to ask him about his experiences with the vaccine. He would know.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by