Fowl Cholera? Now 2 hens with swollen earlobes, wattles! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Aug 26, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hi guys, I posted yesterday in regards to a hen with a swollen earlobe and lesion on the back. You can find the thread here with what I've been doing to treat her: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=390866

Now, I've found my second, and only other BR hen, with a swollen earlobe, not nearly as swollen as the first, but still swollen.

This puts me at a total loss. I had thought my first hen might of had some sort of insect bite or run in with a random nail or something in the henhouse, but now with the second hen showing these symptoms, it makes me think its something infectious.

I have a totally closed flock, only buy hatching eggs. I'm thinking they might of picked it up from wild birds?

The swollen wattles and earlobe line up with fowl cholera, but they exhibit no other symptoms, no wheezing, sneezes, nasal discharge, etc. They all, even the hen with the worse symptoms, have a hearty appetite and are drinking normally. Color looks good, except on the worse hen, her comb is bright red except for the top third, which has a purple hue to it.

Anybody have any experience with this? Offer any advice?

Here are the pictures of my sickest girl:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
  3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Thank you so much! I have been googling all morning with no luck!

Alright, so I'm going to grab the Tylan injectable, but should I only use it on the ones that are exhibiting the swollen earlobes? And treat the rest with Sulmet or Duramycin in their water as a precaution? I'm worried about mixing antibiotics. Or should I inject them all? I have a mixed flock, ranging from 8 wks to 2 years.

4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh I am so sorry. I have not had this problem before, but hope all goes well for your hens. Keep us posted.

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Mine didn't get that swollen, but a few weeks back a lot of my hens had raised red spots on their combs and wattles from where the nasty gnats were biting them! Some of them looked really chewed up! I slathered the area with vetericyn and have been about every other day. Is that a possibility?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by