Fowl Cholera

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madamwlf, Jun 14, 2011.

1. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Could someone please tell me about this disease? I got an email stating one of the chicks I sold was a carrier. I don't see how that is since the chick was hatched, was around other hatched chicks, was never outside or near my adult hens. Also, the chicks in with these were put outside over a month ago and no issues at all with my birds. No deaths, no illness, nothing to show a disease is present. It was stated they had several of their birds die from fowl cholera and one of my birds tested as a carrier. Would them being around the infected birds make them a carrier? How can a hatched chick be a carrier to a disease they were never exposed to at my house? Any info would be great!

2. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Were the eggs hatched from your own flock?

I am presently dealing with an outbreak of respiratory illness, possibly mycoplasma, that started with a brooder of chicks I hatched from purchased eggs. I'll know more in a few days when lab work comes back.

Pretty scary stuff.

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    No, these were eggs I bought from a member here.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Here is some info about Fowl Cholera, I think you would have noticed if the chick you sold was sickly.....

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202600.htm

Most of the time when you see this, rodents are involved......lots of them. I would want to see a vet report from the person who told you that.

How long has this "chick" been off your property?

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    They have been gone for a weeks at least. The brooder mates are already outside here and mixed with other birds. I do believe the individual free ranges as well.

6. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Does anyone know if a hen can pass a disease down to the egg and eventually the hatching chick?

7. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Anyone know at all?????

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Fowl Cholera is not transmitted vertically (via the egg.) I don't know how this person can say your chick introduced it into their flock. It is just as likely your chick got it from one of their birds, or from the same source that gave it to the rest of that flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by