Fowl fox

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UmarAli1122, May 30, 2016.

1. UmarAli1122

UmarAli1122 New Egg

May 30, 2016
    I got a polish chicks or 8 weeks old , one of my chicken wasn't eating well, I tried alot to find reasons but coz of there chrest I didn't see the eye and finnally i find out the problem today after one week, (i guess I'm late ) , he is having spot on eye , after two hours researching on google , I'm pretty sure this is fowl fox , i lubricant her eye on vasiline, and feed glaxos D water and boiled egg by force , she is resting from last one week in one spot ,
    1 ) How to treat her,???
    2 ) Is vasiline okay for her ,?
    3 ) What should i feed her ,?

As she was in flock for one week so i know the diseases will spread in all my chickens ,
    4 ) How to vaccinate the other chickens ,?

I call my local poultry store and ask for fowl fox vaccine but they told me that we don't know fowl fox disease Vaccine , kindly tell us the exact name of vaccine so we can find for you,

5 ) I want to know the exact name of vaccine formula ,??

I vaccinate my chickens 4 days ago against Newcastle , os this okay to vaccinate them again,?
    6 )How much gape is required to vaccinate against other disease,???

I need answers of all these questions please

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  4. RollerDerbyLexi

RollerDerbyLexi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Like Workshire said, fowl pox must run it's course. Some will be worse than others. My Orphington had an eye swell up really bad and my rooster's eyes were sealed shut for at least a week. It thought for sure he would be blinded. I just gave them rooster booster in the water and a round of antibiotics (cause I didn't know it was pox when I started the biotics.)

I was putting Terramycin on his and her eye. (I swear it started to look worse so I stopped.)
    I also did 10 days of Terra-Vet 10. (Make sure not to eat the eggs for 10 days.)

During the worst of their infection I removed them from the flock. The flock was picking on the poor blind rooster's eyes. I let him out of his hospital cage to roam around the outside of our house. When he could see again, I put him back with the ladies.

5. UmarAli1122

UmarAli1122 New Egg

May 30, 2016
    What was you feeding him during his sick days ,? And how do you feed him, ,??? I feed him by force , he isn't eating well

6. UmarAli1122

UmarAli1122 New Egg

May 30, 2016
    Then kindly please suggest me how should i feed him,? He isn't eating anything since a week , he is blind on one eye

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

8. RollerDerbyLexi

Oct 17, 2013
    I put him in a animal cage with food dishes on the side and hay on the bottom. I dipped his beak into the water. (He did not like this.) He figured out the food on his own. He did go a couple days without. I tried using a syringe to give a bird water before. I just got it to choke and didn't get anything down.

Zombie is a stubborn young guy and has lived through a Eagle attack, avian pox and two dog attacks. He's still missing feathers now due to the last attack. He's definitely a survivor! He's a good watch dog now too. I'm sure his past has something to do with it. BTW, I moved the whole coop to a safer location due to all the mayhem.

What doesn't kill ya only makes you stronger. [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sometimes what doesn't kill you can cause you to be disabled for life. Your poor rooster has suffered a lot already. Please check out predator threads to see how to best secure your birds, so they don't get attacked again.

10. RollerDerbyLexi

Oct 17, 2013
    Thanks for your enlightenment Diva. Living in coastal country comes with challenges to say the least. I must read up on migratory patterns of predatory birds as well as how to deal with neighbors with unrestrained digging chicken killing dogs. The pain I have felt emotionally and financially has been great. I bought into the dream of a free ranging flock of chickens. I am on the forums for support in my dream. Thanks for your positive support.

Last edited: May 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by