Fowl Play: Turkey causes airport evacuation

The TSA said it hopes the incident will serve as a lesson and encourage travelers to pay close attention to what types of items are allowed in checked bags to avoid delays at the airport.

It's been a while since I read all the boilerplate the TSA puts out but I'm pretty sure nowhere in it does it say you can't pack a stuffed turkey in your checked bags, headlamps or no.

I will have to remember this when I fly to Orlando in a few weeks!
lau.gif
I will be flying out of Shreveport and they may have just as good of a crack pot TSA team.

A.T. Hagan :

The TSA said it hopes the incident will serve as a lesson and encourage travelers to pay close attention to what types of items are allowed in checked bags to avoid delays at the airport.

It's been a while since I read all the boilerplate the TSA puts out but I'm pretty sure nowhere in it does it say you can't pack a stuffed turkey in your checked bags, headlamps or no.

Yeah, same here. Headline said turkey; article says it was a frozen chicken. Either way, I don't remember anything in the TSA rules saying you can't take a frozen chicken with you in your checked baggage.

(I guess it's not 100% clear in that article whether it was in a checked bag or in a carryon. Given the fact that they have turkey in the headline & chicken in the article, who knows. Quality journalism at its finest...)​

Last edited:
I checked our Christmas dinner on the plane, and had no problems. I was upfront with the airline AND the TSA, announcing that there was a fresh bird in the styrofoam-lined box, and that there were frozen gelpacks around out. The TSA still unpacked and searched it, but it made it. I did have to sign a waiver that the airline wasn't liable for spoilage, but it wasn't a problem.

This is a 38 lb bird, too... a little larger than a little frozen chicken!

I read the contract of carriage, and frozen (or fresh, on ice) food for consumption was not forbidden. I also carried eggs on the plane, again warning the screeners to expect them. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom