Fowl Pox- a SUCCESS story....

Bedste

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Cut n Shoot Texas
I am so thankful to BYC and all the advice and support I recieved from everyone. Thank you!

I have a friend who has lost 2 young chickens to fowl pox just last week. When I noticed one of my 8 weeker buffs with fowl pox I panicked. BYC helped me to stay calm and do what needed to be done. BB (bathroom buff) was quickly blinded in one eye due to swollen eyelid and pox and she stopped eating and drinking and just sat there.

Because of all the advice and support .....this is what I did...

Pray Pray and Pray again.... then

vaccinated every chicken in the flock starting with the healthiest all the way down to the sickest..... BB

Neosporin NO PAIN RELIEVER on pox as much as possible

Polyvisol infant vitamin NO IRON 3 drops in beak twice a day

Hot water and 4 TBS of HONEY mixed well and added to Quart of WATER fed with eye dropper several times a day

Hot Water/Honey mixture added to dry chicken food fed with Qtip several times a day

Canned Cat Food with Qtip--- Yogurt with Qtip

-----------

within 3 hours of eyedropping Honey water.... BB was drinking water on her own.....

within 24 hours of Qtip feeding HONEY water mixture chicken food......she is now also eating on her own and has more energy.

I know we are not out of the woods, but BB is going to be fine. She still has one good eye and hopefully after the Pox is gone her other eye will heal normally too. This is a true success story and a testimony to one of the great things BYC is good for...

Thanks again everyone!

39340_img_4482.jpg

39340_img_4485.jpg

39340_img_4486.jpg

39340_img_4487.jpg

39340_img_4490.jpg

Last edited:
Today her face is less swollen, one eye still shut, but eating more than ever.. almost like normal. She has her choice of yogurt, catfood, high protien calf manna, or scrambled eggs with a side of fresh water.. BB is going to be up and scratchin before too much longer.

Just now checked on BB again.... after 5 hours of being left alone so i could party with the grandkids... now her swollen shut eye has a little slit in it and I can see her eye.. OMG... Yippeeeee Progress

Last edited:
VERY good to hear about so much progress. Keeping her hydrated and interested in eating at least a little bit, and the way you reacted quickly and calmly without overreacting shows great presence of mind. What a good job!!! Everyone should learn from your good example.
smile.png

Today I had to refill BB food dish and her eye is almost opened and the swelling is going down on the infected side of her face. This is great! We are still doing polyvisol 2 drops twice a day, along with neosporin on both sides of her face, fresh water and canned catfood, yogurt and TODAY two bowls of her chick grow mesh....

39340_img_5129.jpg

39340_img_5127.jpg

39340_img_5126.jpg

39340_img_5125.jpg

Back
Top Bottom