1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fowl pox a year after vaccination ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jarsheart, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    In July of last year, I had an outbreak of fowl pox in my small flock. I took all of the chickens to the vet, and had her vaccinate all of them. Now, some of them appear to have fowl pox ! Is this possible ? I did some reading, and did not look for any "taking" in the vaccinated area. Also, the vet vaccinated these chickens on two different days, with the same bottle of vaccine. She said it would be OK. It seemed to be OK because all of the chickens were in the same area, and not all of them got fowl pox. I am CONFUSED ! HELP !

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would say vaccine failure.

By: Peter J. Brown, First State Veterinary Supply, Inc. :

How ,do I know if my birds are properly vaccinated : Approximately 7 days after Pox vaccination has taken place ,you should look at the vaccination ( under the wing web ) site for what is called a take. This will look like a small scab or bump at the place where the Wing Stabber went through the skin of the wing. A lack of takes may indicate that vaccination was not successful ,this may be due to improper vaccination technique or improper vaccine handling or storage.

Also ONCE THE VACCINE IS MIXED WITH THE DILUENT YOU HAVE ABOUT 2 TO 2 ½ HOURS TO USE THE VACCINE. AFTER THAT TIME THE MAJORITY OF THE VACCINE IS DEAD AND USELESS.
    So if your vet mixed the vaccine 2 1/2 hours before giving it to your birds the vaccine didn't do anything.

I do not vaccinate either.

Chris​

4. Jarsheart

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I am just confused that they would get fowl pox now, instead of a year ago when the fowl pox swept through their flock mates. I just ordered some oxine and tylan, with 2 day shipping. Hope my babies will be OK. Of course this would happen during a holiday, and me without supplies. I can't stand the thought of more chickens dying. Too many died last year.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Fowl pox is a virus, tylan is an antibiotic and wont have any effect on a virus. The oxine might help, but I'd let the fowl pox run its course (if it's dry pox.) Then your birds will be immune to that particular strain.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Are you saying they died from fowl pox? Was it the wet version?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Are you saying they died from fowl pox? Was it the wet version?

I was thinking the same thing Sharon. Or perhaps a severe secondary bacterial infection causing death, in which case perhaps tylan might be necessary.

8. Jarsheart

Jun 27, 2010
    Yes, they died of secondary infection. It was awful to see my once beautiful vibrant babies die one by one. I thought that I was home free after the summer was over, but it is still hot and RAINING here. Which means we still have mosquitoes. I am praying and WAITING for the cooler weather. Got the meds, will start today to be pro-active.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by