Fowl Pox advice for flock of mixed age chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SIMZ, Oct 3, 2015.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    My flock has dry pox. It started with my turkeys about a month ago and now the chickens have it. A few look bad (including a 6 week old chick) and many don't have any signs, but they're all housed in the same coop. There are also 2 broody hens with chicks that are a few days old in the mix.

Questions:

1) I've been separating the worst looking so I can feed them special food and keep an eye on them. I also hoped that might slow the spread. Is that necessary now since more are showing signs now? Or is it just going to run it's course through the flock.

2) Would vaccinating help at this point? They're all housed together and I read they should be vaccinated before exposure. It seems that they're all exposed now.

3) I see a 6 week old chick has some sores. He's still with his mom and sibling. Separate him or just let him be?

4) How do brand new chicks handle this? I have 4 that hatched out a few days ago out there with their moms. I can't really separate every chicken out there.

Thanks!

What a gross and hideous disease that is. I think I'll be vaccinating for this in the future.

2. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Update: I just left everyone in the flock. The six week old chick is looking and acting great. One of my hens with the new chicks was very sick for about a day and a half and looked like she had sores in her mouth (maybe wet pox?). I gave her some diluted nutri-drench for two days and she's now thankfully doing MUCH better. She continued to warm her chick and somewhat mother her through it all.

I've been adding some poultry cell to their food and sometimes adding electrolytes to their water. They're also getting extra protein as well. Hoping all continues to go well with them and the tiny chicks don't get sick.

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things with them. I would guess it's too late to vaccinate. I believe once they've had it they build up an immunity.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Fowl pox is viral so it will run its course . From what I've read there are no effective vaccines. Separation will work to a degree but even rodents and mosquito will spread this through your flock.
    Swab the scabs with betadine and keep the food up to them, wet pox is hideous and much harder on your birds , so at least you dodged that bullet. I lost 2 birds to fowl pox 2 years ago and haven't seen it since. It can last for 4-6 weeks and if the birds lose their appetite tube feeding becomes necessary.
    Good luck. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Update:

It seems like the worst is over in most of the flock. I do see that one of the new chicks has it. Not surprising, since his mother had about a day and a half of being very sick right after he hatched. I just gave him some nutri-drench and will keep a close eye on him. He's about 2 weeks old now. [​IMG]

6. BeachMomma

BeachMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    NC
    Giving them vitamin and electrolytes is about the only thing you can do for dry fowl pox. Some extra protein is good too. Sounds like you have it under control just keep an eye out for signs of wet pox.
    Good luck!

7. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Ok! I believe this chick's mom had wet pox - the only case in my flock that I suspected as wet pox. I only saw one exterior lesion, but she just sat around with her eyes closed for a few days and constantly shook her head. I wasn't seeing her eat, either. When I finally examined her, I noticed things in her mouth and some crud at the corners of her mouth (which I've read is a sign of wet pox). So far the little guy had a full crop, so I know he's eating. Not sure a tiny guy like that would be able to make through wet pox.

8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Wet pox is hideous. The best person to talk to about would be @casportpony. She will also be able to give you advice on tube feeding , if it becomes necessary . Good luck. :)

9. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Final Update: We haven't had any signs of pox for at least 3 weeks. We first noticed it on our turkeys in mid-August, so it took about 2 - 2 1/2 months to work it's way through.

The six week old chick that had it is fine - normal growth, no lasting effects. BUT the young chick whose mother was very sick and contracted it from her has not done so well. He has an ear that looks strange and a large bare growth above his eye. He is also half the size of another batch of chicks that are the same age.

Overall, we didn't lose any, which I'm thankful for. A pullet that had the worst case does have some scarring, but nothing serious. It's interesting that most of my chickens weren't affected or had very mild cases.

Each of our 3-5 meat turkeys showed symptoms. I suspect wet pox as well with them since two started wheezing and rattling. They were a week from butcher, so we went ahead and processed them when we realized what was going on.

I probably will not vaccinate for it in the future, although might consider it for the meat turkeys to avoid that again. Hopefully this will help someone searching for info that has a mixed flock.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  10. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    glad to hear that. check if they lost weight and give them good feed, vitamins and if they don't free range you must give them a lot of greens. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by